"Pimp My Kelly Kettle."

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
Ridgerunner

Re: "Pimp My Kelly Kettle."

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Outstanding Bfinnigan. What made you go to the applewood stopper? Did you see my mishaps on youtube with the Ghillie kettle? :oops: :lol: I take it your cast iron pan does not fit inside the unit? Odd that you fire bowl does not fit snug as mine does. Imperfections in machining, I guess or the gave you the wrong bowl. Machining three different companies kettles in the same plant, I can see where that might be possible. I like your avitar at your site. ;) :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks, if I post something it means it's OK to copy, adapt, modify or just get the creative juices going. Forums are about sharing information and inspiration.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Outstanding Bfinnigan. What made you go to the applewood stopper? Did you see my mishaps on youtube with the Ghillie kettle? :oops: :lol: I take it your cast iron pan does not fit inside the unit? Odd that you fire bowl does not fit snug as mine does. Imperfections in machining, I guess or the gave you the wrong bowl. Machining three different companies kettles in the same plant, I can see where that might be possible. I like your avitar at your site. ;) :lol:
Thanks.

The stopper is vented so it won't become a steam bomb :lol: . And I will be replacing it with just a cork before my next outing. A vented cork that is.

The frying pan attaches to the bottom the kettle with some large plastic grip thread bolts. I welded two threaded steel cubes to the bottom of the pan. They are big enough to unscrew with gloves or partially numb fingers. They go through the top of the fire bowl which also anchors in the grill and all the other loose gadgets.

It all stacks together in one solid unit.

Every piece of outdoor equipment I get usually gets at least on mod or enhancement. It's some type of mental illness I think.

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Up on Rainier last weekend the wind was blowing around 15-20 MPH. Even with the chimney choke the flames were being sucked out the top by too much draft coming through and combusting the parrafin rolls. So I had to make an intake damper for wind situations.

I make these cardboard wax soaked rolls from paper towel or TP rolls with corrugated cardboard strips rolled up inside them. Inside the National Park you can't burn wood but these work great in the kettle. Cheap, easy to make, light weight and waterproof. Just one will boil the water in a small Kelly or Ghilli kettle. They also make great fire starters for my wood stove or up camping.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Every piece of outdoor equipment I get usually gets at least on mod or enhancement. It's some type of mental illness I think.
It's a pleasant illness to have and one that need not be cured :D Your modifications sure have paid off. You're set-up is working just great. I just recently purchased the large stainless steel Kelly Kettle and really glad I did. thanks for sharing your photos and mod information. We'll be sure to use it. :D

Those little buddy burners are nice to have for many situations. I have lots of tuna cans filled ready for emergency use.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Am I the only one that noticed the seafood feast? Looks delicious.

I'll be a lot of kettle owners will be interested in your mods. They sure add to the versatility.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:59 am

I noticed the seafood also and drooled on myself :o :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:58 am

I noticed the seafood also and drooled on myself :o :mrgreen:
More than likely the drool just comes with age... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:00 pm

When I cam across this "Pimp my Kelly Kettle" thread I had to check it out. I know there are many other mods that have been done so I am curious to see them and what motivated them. Some of the things I made are already offered stock with the kettles or separately. But I wanted stronger materials and with a slight design modification for most of them. I don't want to grill over aluminum. I don't mind boiling water that is not acidic at 212 deg but not 400 deg with possibly acidic food on it.

If I get too much aluminum in my brain there is no telling what I will end up doing. :o

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Seeing Ridgerunners videos inspired me to hasten my purchase of a Kettle. They also inspired some modification even before it arrived. A simple flu damper cap slowed the burn down along with using a wood holding basket to vertical stack the wood for a slower burn. I have not had to close down the air inlet hole so far.
If I get too much aluminum in my brain there is no telling what I will end up doing. :o
You'll become a work-a-holic, better cut back while there still time. :mrgreen: