Small fan motors for wood stoves

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

Small fan motors for wood stoves

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Want to blow smoke up and away from your wood stoves? Take a look at these tiny motors.

Watch the video that shows the lifting capability of the small gearmotor. Cool stuff, cool gizmos.

http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/storepro5/agora.cgi
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Re: Small fan motors for wood stoves

Post by hoz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:15 pm

I use a computer CPU fan from Radio Shack ($9.00) with a 9V battery and some aluminum foil for the ductwork to "stoke" my coffeecan stove.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:58 am

I have two small fans I found at a surplus store years ago. They're just like CPU fans but about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Also, if you want really small motors try taking apart an old cellphone or pager. If the device has the vibrate alert feature than it'll have a tiny motor.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:57 pm

dlarson wrote:I have two small fans I found at a surplus store years ago. They're just like CPU fans but about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Also, if you want really small motors try taking apart an old cellphone or pager. If the device has the vibrate alert feature than it'll have a tiny motor.
Thanks for the tip, I have an old pager laying around somwhere that I can take a peek into :D

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 am

Dlarson ,you are giving Zelph to many ideas, and one day NASA will take him away from this site and then what? we do :) (pssss give this very good :idea: ideas in PM)
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:30 pm

I didn't really consider it a good idea. It seemed more like an obvious observation!
And NASA is probably too busy keeping their aging space shuttles serviced to bother with anything else right now. :)
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:51 pm

dlarson wrote:I didn't really consider it a good idea. It seemed more like an obvious observation!
And NASA is probably too busy keeping their aging space shuttles serviced to bother with anything else right now. :)
Which is why they are looking for the "Do It Yourself"ers. Duh... :mrgreen:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Just a question on fan assisted burners be it wood, charcoal or even alcohol. how much air do you need, I would assume volume is important, but what about pressure, I'm working on a stove that will burn wood chips/twigs, quick light charcoal pellets (powdered and compressed with copper pipe + wooden dowel) and I'm still considering it but i would love to have a remote feed alcohol attachment. so what it comes down to is will a 50mm fan provide the necessary air flow. But anyway I'm just thinking out loud will see how far i get with this project, By the way does anyone own a Zip Stove, DIY or Commercial ??? would love to ask a few questions...
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:51 pm

seudo_411 wrote:Just a question on fan assisted burners be it wood, charcoal or even alcohol. how much air do you need, I would assume volume is important, but what about pressure, I'm working on a stove that will burn wood chips/twigs, quick light charcoal pellets (powdered and compressed with copper pipe + wooden dowel) and I'm still considering it but i would love to have a remote feed alcohol attachment. so what it comes down to is will a 50mm fan provide the necessary air flow. But anyway I'm just thinking out loud will see how far i get with this project, By the way does anyone own a Zip Stove, DIY or Commercial ??? would love to ask a few questions...
Fan motors on wood stoves are just a novelty item. Something to play with and make miniture blast furnaces :lol: I have 2 zip stoves. both are commercial. One of them I modified into a single wall model :mrgreen: I functioned better in the single wall mode.

I did have a nice DIY stainless steel zip that I made using a stainless steel flour sifter. It worked well and is now located in the great state of Texas. It was auctioned off on Whiteblaze.net about a year ago. I'll get a link to the building thread that was on Whiteblaze.

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi all, I found a really good motor, the shaft is threaded, so i am going to make my own blade, So is there any one on the board who knows anything about, HVAC systems, or about air movement.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...