CAUTION! "Use of Fiberglass Wick" CAUTION!

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

CAUTION! "Use of Fiberglass Wick" CAUTION!

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Be carefull when using fiberglass wick to wrap stoves and Heineken Pots.

I recently had to have my eyelid treated for imbedded glass particles that came off some 1/16 inch dia. fiberglass wick. I was lucky not to have gotten them into my eyeball says the doc.

Be sure to use safety goggles, disposable gloves and wash your hands thouroghly before eating and drinking from your heiny pot it it has been wrapped with wick. Stoves also wrapped with wick should be treated with caution.

Here are some photos taken today to show what the fibers look like that are on the wick material. They fall off easily and stick to everything and anything. Same thing with home fiberglass insulation, wear gloves when using it. Wash hands and clothing afterwards.

Take a close look at the tiny fibers.Click on each photo.

ImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: CAUTION! "Use of Fiberglass Wick" CAUTION!

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:41 pm

Sorry to hear about you episode with the fiberglas, Zelph. It's like when you lay insulation in your attic. NEVER rub your eyes and you know a shower is going to follow installation. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:18 pm

jeeze! i never even think about it :o

i've been working with 'glass in one form or another for thirty years and it just has never occurred to me to make a point out of it. sorry Zelph! :cry: my bad for not bringing it up. i know these materials and it should be the responsibilty of those who know to inform those who may not know. or at least bring it up for discussion. burning galvanized wire is a good example. i beat that horse to death ;) but at least i made you all think about it.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:37 pm

I've always worn long sleeve shirts when doing home insulation fiberglass mats but no gloves. My hands would get little pimples on the back them from the fibers sticking into the pores. Repeated washing still would not get them little buggers out.

Fresh wrapped Heineken pots must have billions of them little critters sticking out waiting to attach to something. I'll take the stainless steel bail anytime.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:04 am

ok this might sound dumb but is any of our diy gear safe?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:ok this might sound dumb but is any of our diy gear safe?
You're right about it sounding dumb :mrgreen:

Your equipment is as safe as you make it. ;)

hoz

Post by hoz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:47 am

You might try a few layers of fiberglass drywall tape instead of wick. I've never had any problems using it when patching or finishing drywall. No gloves or dust masks necessary.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Skidsteer has used the drywall tape. Maybe he can give us some insight on his experience with it.

Oops was going to test the surface temp of his fiberglass wrapped pot when it was at boiling. He was going to use his infra red sensing gun. I think it's been too cold for him to be out in his museum to do any testing. :mrgreen: I did a test one day and found that I was only able to hold onto the wrapped pot for 3 seconds max after it reached a boil. I said to myself: what's the use of wrapping it, it doesn't work. I have a bail on mine that works great and weighs alot less that all the wrapping on the pot.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 pm

Yep, these are good things to think about.
I use gloves when putting fiberglass insulation in a stove and make sure not to touch my face. I learned that one with home repair stuff.
And I burn zinc coated steel outside because of the fumes. I learned that one when I was welding at a metal shop.

Safety in our DIY designs should always be considered a priority.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 pm

dlarson wrote: And I burn zinc coated steel outside because of the fumes. I learned that one when I was welding at a metal shop.

Safety in our DIY designs should always be considered a priority.
galvanized = ZINC!!

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast