CAUTION! "Use of Fiberglass Wick" CAUTION!

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
dlarson
Site Admin

Re: CAUTION! "Use of Fiberglass Wick" CAUTION!

Post by dlarson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37 pm

DarenN wrote:galvanized = ZINC!!

Thanks for the clarification, Daren. I should have just said that to begin with. Those two summers I spent at a plating factory gave me a lot of knowledge but sometimes I forget that not everyone knows that. :mrgreen:
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 pm

dlarson wrote:
DarenN wrote:galvanized = ZINC!!

Thanks for the clarification, Daren. I should have just said that to begin with. Those two summers I spent at a plating factory gave me a lot of knowledge but sometimes I forget that not everyone knows that. :mrgreen:
it's been over a year since i signed on here and one of the first things i did was 'beat the horse dead' about useing galvanized screen for our projects.
i promised i'd shut up about it. ;)
just last week we sent a man to hospital for zinc poisoning, from welding galvanized material. his own fault for not useing a smoke extractor (attached to a rack above his bench!)

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:53 pm

After I posted this thread tinny came out with a video that made light of the fact that I had been injured by these little glass fibers that exist on fiberglass wicking material that's used to wrap around stoves and Heineken pots. In the video he takes one of his wrapped stoves and licks it in defiance of what I had experienced. The outright stupidity of the guy to show his viewers that it is safe to consume the glass fibers. Just as the fibers were irritating to the outer eyelid, they can lodge into your tounge, throat lining and also the stomach lining. Tinny at Minibulldesign(John Austin) is a total jerk for misleading the public viewers on this important safety concern. The recent photo on his website shows the fibers sticking out from his beer can(right hand side) wrapped with fiberglass wick. You can clearly see the fibers sticking out. That's what you get when you receive one of his stoves or pots. I'd like to see him lick those fibers off and gulp them down with his cup of coffeee. Bottoms up tinny. Shortly you'll be facing cancer of the esophogus due to the fibers ingested from the video you produced. Think on that tinny, got new ideas ;)

This photo:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bigerny

Post by bigerny » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 am

Just a hint.When ever you finish working with ANY type of fiberglass, wash yourself with COLD water in order to close the skin pores.Hot water will just let the glass in deeper.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 am

bigerny wrote:Just a hint.When ever you finish working with ANY type of fiberglass, wash yourself with COLD water in order to close the skin pores.Hot water will just let the glass in deeper.
Good tip and welcome to bplite.

Cold water is best for anykind of unknown or known substances gotten onto hand/bodyparts. Just like bigerny says, closes the pores to prevent penetration.

Thanks again for the good tip.

hoz

Post by hoz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Tiny is an idiot, plain and simple. Fortunately for him he keeps a group of sycophants around who thinks he can do no wrong.

Grandpa used to say, "Them that don't listen got to feel."

THINK ABOUT IT.

I wonder if, after a good flaming, the glass fibers melt and lay down?

Back when I did high work we used to make up a set of falls for a stage or bosun's chair by first "burning" the rope to lessen the fibers. We would wrap it around a telephone pole and pull it through with the truck.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:38 pm

A propane torch melts the majority of the fibers that you can see sticking out. Treat the wrappings with a torch first before using. How many fibers still exist to fall out later, we don't know.