How much fuel?

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
linuxhack

How much fuel?

Post by linuxhack » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm

How does the amount of fuel required to get a boil under ideal conditions compare to real-world conditions?

If you are really cooking and not testing do you use extra just to be safe? If so, how much, 50% more?

zelph

Re: How much fuel?

Post by zelph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Go 25 percent more and always use a windscreen. Always use a windscreen, heat radiates off the screen back to the pot. Experiment in your back yard, off the balcony or in the park on lunch break :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Irvingdog

Post by Irvingdog » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:26 pm

zelph wrote:in the park on lunch break :D
That's why I love road trips for work. HOT LUNCH AT A REST STOP!!!! :DBfire:
That reminds me. I've got to go to Spirit Lake Iowa tomorrow.
Hellllloooooo Ramen!

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:30 am

I don't measure in the real world... even though I probably should.
I generally have more fuel than I need for the 2-3 days that I am going to be out. I have a general idea of how full to fill the stove to get a boil so I go with that and basically guess.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 am

Irvingdog wrote:
zelph wrote:in the park on lunch break :D
That's why I love road trips for work. HOT LUNCH AT A REST STOP!!!! :DBfire:
That reminds me. I've got to go to Spirit Lake Iowa tomorrow.
Hellllloooooo Ramen!
There ya go!!!! take a kitchen set-up and Ramen paks and your set for a good hot lunch and an outdoor scene. Makes for a good way to do lunch. :D

linuxhack

Post by linuxhack » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 pm

I've been experimenting outside and using a windscreen, but have yet to get 2 cups to boil.

I've probably been being too stingy with the fuel after seeing many reports of half oz boils (I assume most under ideal type conditions). I've also been using a heine pot for most testing which probably isn’t as efficient as a wider pot.

The most I have used for a burn is about 20ml using homemade starlyte and fancee feast type stoves.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:24 pm

linuxhack wrote:I've been experimenting outside and using a windscreen, but have yet to get 2 cups to boil.

I've probably been being too stingy with the fuel after seeing many reports of half oz boils (I assume most under ideal type conditions). I've also been using a heine pot for most testing which probably isn’t as efficient as a wider pot.

The most I have used for a burn is about 20ml using homemade starlyte and fancee feast type stoves.
Use a wider pot, heiny pots are not the best for efficiency outside. Especially if you wrapped it with insulation(wick)

Knotty

Post by Knotty » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:17 pm

I tend to put more in than needed when not in the lab (garage). Would rather waste a little fuel than come up short.

It's amazing how much the type of windscreen can affect things. I just made a Fancee Feest and couldn't get a 2 cup boil with 1/2oz on any of my pots, screen or not. Then I used the FF with one of the pots but inside a Caldera cone. Success!

I had to put a block under the Fancee Feest so that the pot would rest on it, but with the home made Caldera I could get the boil I was looking for in just 6 min.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Knotty wrote:I tend to put more in than needed when not in the lab (garage). Would rather waste a little fuel than come up short.

It's amazing how much the type of windscreen can affect things. I just made a Fancee Feest and couldn't get a 2 cup boil with 1/2oz on any of my pots, screen or not. Then I used the FF with one of the pots but inside a Caldera cone. Success!

I had to put a block under the Fancee Feest so that the pot would rest on it, but with the home made Caldera I could get the boil I was looking for in just 6 min.
Awhile back I created a visual way to make a cone shaped windscreen and it showed how to make the cone any size that you wanted height wise. Measure the total distance from bottom of Fancee Feest to rim of pot and use that dimension to calculate the cone. Hole size and quantity are criticle to make it work properly. Placement of holes also are criticle also. The very top of the cone need not touch the pot rim to give support to the pot. The cone top will be close by to aide in stability if need be. The closure of the cone need not be perfect because it won't be supporting the pot. 1/8" space all around the pot would be OK. Some experimenting is needed. If anyone makes a cone in this fashon let us know about it.

Knotty

Post by Knotty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Zelph, I intend to, but haven't yet made a Caldera Cone specifically for use with the Fancee Feest. Will report again, once I do.

I did learn some more about windscreens while experimenting again. It was bothering me that I couldn't get a boil on the FF or some of my others using 15ml of denatured alcohol (except in the Caldera). Most of my testing is done on the garage floor, door open and an adjustable diameter windscreen made from roof flashing.

Well the other night I was working with the door closed, so I didn't use the windscreen and discovered that I could get a boil and there were no detectable fumes from the meths. From this I concluded that the windscreen had been limiting the supply of oxygen to the fire, resulting in an overly rich burn. That inefficient burn didn't produce as much heat and increased fumes. My improvised Caldera may have done the same thing, but the way it traps heat probably counter balanced the lack of oxygen.

In the lab (garage) w/o a windscreen a number of my stoves were able to produce a 2 cup boil on 15-20ml of meths. This included a Trangia, DIY white box, DIY Starlyte.

I am so happy with the Fancee Feest design, that I'll probably try to resist building other stoves and concentrate more on making windscreens that don't choke the stove but still act as a wind block.