burn time problems

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
desertcowboy96

burn time problems

Post by desertcowboy96 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:46 pm

ok.. for some reason my burn time is sucking. both stoves that im using today have only had a burn time of about 5-6 mins with 3 ounce's of fues (that is of chourse if 2 tbsp = 1 ounce) the fues im using is HEET in the yellow bottle and its just sucking. one of my stoves is a side burner that u just put the fosters can on and the other stove is an open mid that i have a pot stand for and both of them had about the same burn time, i dont get it, any help would be welcomed

DarenN

Re: burn time problems

Post by DarenN » Sun May 31, 2009 10:28 pm

you need to slow down the burn. Tony did scientific research and proved that slower is more efficient. even posted a graph of different fuels. build many copies of your burners, changing only one thing at a time. start with jet size, then number of jets. post pics! :D you'll probably end up where the rest of us did. wicked, or semi wicked, burners. :geek:

Daren..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 am

What exactly is a semi wicked stove? I know I should of looked for it before asking but i didnt :o looking it up now

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 am

JohnnyB wrote:What exactly is a semi wicked stove? I know I should of looked for it before asking but i didnt :o looking it up now
That would be a stove that uses a wicking material such as fiberglas cloth or insulation.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 am

JohnnyB wrote:What exactly is a semi wicked stove? I know I should of looked for it before asking but i didnt :o looking it up now
like a Trangia burner. uses a wicking material to move fuel up to the jets.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 am

It's either what they said or you've been using a Teaspoon instead of a Table spoon. LOL :lol:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

hoz

Post by hoz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 am

What style stoves are they? The semi pressurized can stoves burn faster than open top or wicketized stoves.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:40 pm

I'd bag the "teaspoons" or "tablespoons"..go down to a local dollar store and get some 1-2 ounce bottles of "sanitizing hand cleaner"..or something else that comes in that size bottle..Make a mark on the height of the contents before you open it and you'll have a good measurement for the stove's fuel..besides..it's nice having a couple 1 and 2 ounce bottles for packing with your stove for day trips without having to really measure anything out...
Take other's advice and add some rolled up fiberglass cloth around the perimeter chamber of your jetted stoves when you put them together.
I usually just use a needle for jet size..poke it through using a pinvise or needle nose pliers rather than a drill bit(if you are using a drill bit),for making smaller jets..start with4, 6, or 8 jets around the perimeter...give it a burn test..then put one between each pair if you need more holes..
If I'm drilling..I can getdrill bits down to about .015-.018 in this town..the only problem is how to drill with the tiny things without snapping them off.I drill a hole in a piece of wooden dowel(as tight as possible) 1/8" shorter than what is hanging out the drill head,slip that on the bit,chuck it in a drill press,and I can hold the dowel (rotating around the bit)with only 1/8" or less of the bit sticking out and raise the can up to the drill bit instead with my other hand.I drill 1/16" brass for "pinhole camera lensboards" using that method without breaking the bits.
You may know all this..in that case,ignore the post.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Post by oops56 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:55 pm

realityguy wrote:I'd bag the "teaspoons" or "tablespoons"..go down to a local dollar store and get some 1-2 ounce bottles of "sanitizing hand cleaner"..or something else that comes in that size bottle..Make a mark on the height of the contents before you open it and you'll have a good measurement for the stove's fuel..besides..it's nice having a couple 1 and 2 ounce bottles for packing with your stove for day trips without having to really measure anything out...
Take other's advice and add some rolled up fiberglass cloth around the perimeter chamber of your jetted stoves when you put them together.
I usually just use a needle for jet size..poke it through using a pinvise or needle nose pliers rather than a drill bit(if you are using a drill bit),for making smaller jets..start with4, 6, or 8 jets around the perimeter...give it a burn test..then put one between each pair if you need more holes..
If I'm drilling..I can getdrill bits down to about .015-.018 in this town..the only problem is how to drill with the tiny things without snapping them off.I drill a hole in a piece of wooden dowel(as tight as possible) 1/8" shorter than what is hanging out the drill head,slip that on the bit,chuck it in a drill press,and I can hold the dowel (rotating around the bit)with only 1/8" or less of the bit sticking out and raise the can up to the drill bit instead with my other hand.I drill 1/16" brass for "pinhole camera lensboards" using that method without breaking the bits.
You may know all this..in that case,ignore the post.. :mrgreen:
On little drill bit i put in vise brake them to 1/2 in. long
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:05 pm

On little drill bit i put in vise brake them to 1/2 in. long
So..then you spin the vise? :?: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy