Page 3 of 6

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:18 pm
by zelph
gregb wrote:I tried to do this tuesday night but failed. On the first atempt I couldn't feel the rolled edge bottom out. So I tried again but stopped before it bottomed out, removed the "die" and found the rolled in material was bunched up again. The die was deformed so I cut the bottom off another bottle and tried a third time. When I found it also didn't roll correctly, I threw it all in the recycle bin.

Like you said, I'll leave it to the experts and will need t buy one. Oh zelph...
The rolled edge is suppose to "bottom out" and form a means of keeping the inner wall away from the outer wall :?

What happens if you keep applying pressure to the die once you feel the "bottoming out" ?

Even if the inner wall looks raged at the bottom of the stove it will still work. The raged wall bottom will alow fuel to go under it into the inner portion of the two walls.

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:24 pm
by gregb
It was a 20 ton hydraulic press and I didn't feel a change in resistance. It actually crushed very easily :lol:

The inner wall didn't just have a rough bottom edge, it was bunched up bad to one side while the other side had the ridges or wrinkles like in the video. So I'll buy one yours :D

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 am
by zelph
gregb wrote:It was a 20 ton hydraulic press and I didn't feel a change in resistance. It actually crushed very easily :lol:

The inner wall didn't just have a rough bottom edge, it was bunched up bad to one side while the other side had the ridges or wrinkles like in the video. So I'll buy one yours :D
hehheh :) hard to feel when it starts to go wrong with 20 tons of hydraulic pushing it :D so it's not having equal verticle pressure because it's bunched up off to one side. How tall is your die and how much wider than the bottle being formed in thousandths? One hair thickness?

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 pm
by gregb
Yep, there could be too much play in the press. I saw the upper part of the press and the bottle move when the pressure was applied and released. Also the pipe cutter I used rolled the cut edge inward and I had tried to straighten it before pressing anything :roll:

The die was one inch cut off a bottle and pressed on the bottom of another and then removed with air pressure. It wasn't tight on the cut bottles but wouldn't fall off if turned over. For a few seconds I thought about it making a nice lid for some bottle project.

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 pm
by zelph
gregb wrote:Yep, there could be too much play in the press. I saw the upper part of the press and the bottle move when the pressure was applied and released. Also the pipe cutter I used rolled the cut edge inward and I had tried to straighten it before pressing anything :roll:

The die was one inch cut off a bottle and pressed on the bottom of another and then removed with air pressure. It wasn't tight on the cut bottles but wouldn't fall off if turned over. For a few seconds I thought about it making a nice lid for some bottle project.
Sounds like too many variables that could make it go astray. A small dent in the bottle can be the death of a compression :D I had 3 bottles go bad the other day from dents no doubt.

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:58 pm
by KLC
I have made a stove like he did in the video but the die I made wears out easily. I think it would take me a case or more of Bud bottles just to make a few decent stoves for friends and family.
Would be nice to have a proper die made, but would be awesome to know the correct dimensions if having a die made.

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 pm
by zelph
KLC wrote:I have made a stove like he did in the video but the die I made wears out easily. I think it would take me a case or more of Bud bottles just to make a few decent stoves for friends and family.
Would be nice to have a proper die made, but would be awesome to know the correct dimensions if having a die made.
Minibulldesign has a video that shows how to make the die.


Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 pm
by KLC
That is how I was doing it Zelph. I have made a handful of dies, none last more than 2 bottles. Rolled edge looks funky.
I am having trouble with creating the die. Keeping the die straight as it goes over the base of another bottle.

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 pm
by Ridgerunner
KLC, if you know any machinist, they can mill you one pretty easily ;)

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 am
by KLC
Ridgerunner, sent you a PM.