How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Vibe wrote:
zelph wrote:T The vent hole technology is new to me.

Did you forget about when Tinney was blaming bad performance on bad alcohol?

Wasn't that just precious of tinney to come up with that :lol: Anything that goes wrong with his stuff is "bad fuel" related :P

Remember how others got in on the bandwagon and said an open can of fuel absorbed moisture from the air and that would cause really bad problems.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:15 pm

KLC wrote:But did you make a cake with one of your stoves in a cardboard box???
I heard they used to teach the Scouts how to do that.

No, never heard of that :?:

I heard of "Oops56" using a cardboard box for solar cooking.

I'll have to do some googling ;)

Found some info:

http://odcooking.pragerfamily.net/boxoven.html
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

AngryDaddyBird

Postby AngryDaddyBird » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:36 am

Hello. I am new here but am interested in trying to make a superstove. I have and use one but would be nice to make one myself. I noticed the older cans have a different bottom in the videos. Has anyone tried a pepsi can from 2014? Its shaped differently. I can't seem to find a good can that will make a die or does anyone know where to get those Venom cans?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 am

AngryDaddyBird wrote:Hello. I am new here but am interested in trying to make a superstove. I have and use one but would be nice to make one myself. I noticed the older cans have a different bottom in the videos. Has anyone tried a pepsi can from 2014? Its shaped differently. I can't seem to find a good can that will make a die or does anyone know where to get those Venom cans?

The Superstove can be made from the newer Pepsi aluminum bottle as the bottom is inconsequential. The key is your die being the right diameter. As far as the Venom bottles go, I think they did away with the ones that Zelph uses for his stoves but you can use other aluminum bottles with the correct die.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

AngryDaddyBird

Postby AngryDaddyBird » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:56 pm

I didn't realize they were discontinued. Thanks for letting me know. I will give the pepsi a try. Thanks for responding to my question so quick.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:41 pm

They have come out with a smaller Venom bottle but I'm not sure if the walls Are thick enough to roll without buckling.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

AngryDaddyBird

Postby AngryDaddyBird » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:53 am

I might try a budlight bottle instead. Will keep you updated on results.

AngryDaddyBird

Postby AngryDaddyBird » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:54 pm

OK so I decided to fork out some Funds for a die. Can someone tell me where to buy one or have one made? If anyone can help me figure out what measurements are needed that would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Getting a die cut by a machinist can be rather expensive unless you personally know one. The stoves are a dime a dozen on fleabay so it would take some time to recoup your cost. I would suggest checking out Tiny's video on making a bios stove or do a search on YouTube as there are a couple that show you how to make a die using another aluminum bottle and hydraulic jack ;)

AngryDaddyBird

Postby AngryDaddyBird » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:03 am

Great. I don't plan on selling stoves but have kids involved in church groups and Boy Scouts. This is more for giving as gifts for preparation( just in case).
My uncle runs a CNC Machine shop. He said he can make it if I give him the specs.. I figured it doesn't have to be a super heavy duty Die because for my use it will never be mass producing stoves.
I am not trying to compete for marketing here but just like perfection when making things. If I am crossing a line I apologize. I just figured someone on here already has specs for a die and worked the kinks out in trial and error.
If no one replies I understand that some people here sell stoves and other related items. I am not trying to step on toes here..
Thanks for the replies.!

Return to “Stove Making Tips”