Introduction, and best design advice question.

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
jdempsey

Introduction, and best design advice question.

Post by jdempsey » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey guys, my first post here.. I usually troll the *other* BPL forums...

Been addicted to stove making for a while now, but haven't branched out much for information resources.. Obviously, this is a better better location to feed my addiction. Obviously I'm into UL backpacking, and alkie is the way to go. I'm located in GA, so alot of southern AT hiking, but I travel internationally alot also. Heading to Peru in May for the Cordillera Blanca..

I like to do more extensive cooking on the trail that most UL'ers, so I've taken to traveling with two pepsi can style stoves, one pressurized for boiling water, and another fiber glass filled, with a medium-small fill hole that can be covered with a penny or not, to shift the heat from low to medium low.

This covers all of my needs for the most part, but they're far from perfect.

So my question(s): 1. What's the most efficient design for boiling .5-1L of water..? I'm more concerned with fuel efficiency than boiling times. 2. What's the most fuel efficient stove that offers flame adjustment flexibility in the simmer-to-medium heat range? 3. Are two stoves enough, or are they one too many?

Thanks guys, you rock.!

Javan

zelph

Re: Introduction, and best design advice question.

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Lots of folks have had sucess making the Fancee Feest stove. Take a look at this thread and it will give you an idea how to make one.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

jdempsey

Post by jdempsey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:57 am

Thanks Zelph.. I made one tonight. Didn't have any fiberglass cloth, but I used FG Insulation, and got good results. Less efficient I'm sure, but I got boils about 20% off your targets using screen. I'll get some FG cloth tomorrow, and try spot welded Al and galvanized steel flashing versions.

This gave me an idea for using an adjustable brass nozzle I've got laying around for a mono-jet stove. Completely different, but that's the way the train tracks.

THX!

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:18 am

jdempsey wrote: galvanized steel
oh no! not again!! :cry:
i said i'd shut up about it but that was a couple hundred members ago. please don't burn galvanized iron. the by-products are poisonously bad for you.

Daren.......
thirty years of metal working..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

jdempsey

Post by jdempsey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Haha point taken!

Copper is ok right?

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 pm

J,

I'm a two stove person as well. I carry the fancee feast and the starlyte. They are both very efficient and nest with the starlyte in the fancee feast. Maybe zelph can give us a total weight on this combo.

I use the starlyte with a heine pot and the fancee feast with an IMUSA mug. Hot cereal breakfasts with coffee usually involve a liter of water.

Zelph is working on a caldera clone with a modified starlyte that has some incredible efficiency numbers.

jdempsey

Post by jdempsey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 pm

I may have to add a 3rd to my kit..

I made one yesterday in the pepsi can style, with the large keg cans that everyone uses for pots.

Will hold 3-4 ounces of fuel easily, and has the perfect flame output for sautéing and pan frying.

Full of fuel will go for 30+ minutes, and the wider disc allows perfect heat distribution on an 8" fry pan. Boils .5l in about 7mins with 3/4oz, so not as efficient as the fancee feast

We cooked french toast, eggs, and tempeh bacon for breakfast this morning with it. If anybody that carts a fry pan with them wants the specs, let me know. Fancee feast flame output would be fine for this, but for this kind of cooking, being able to move the pan around is a must. I'm using a 6oz aluminum pan, but the flame layout would help those using Ti.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:39 pm

jdempsey wrote:Haha point taken!

Copper is ok right?
i wouldn't use copper either. i don't think there is any poisonous danger, but the melting point of copper is too low to be used as a potstand. same for aluminum. all my potstands are made of stainless steel.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:44 pm

We cooked french toast, eggs, and tempeh bacon for breakfast this morning with it.
Breakfast ALMOST sounded perfect. Being an ol' Meathead, I would have to reheat some Tyson cooked bacon strips. No Fake bacon here. :lol: Eggs are number ONE of Zelphs menu but I have to have my bacon! :DP: I take a 7" skillet at times to make eggs, blueberry pancakes or , if lucky, some freshly caught fried trout ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:53 pm

I use my two stage spice can stove that has an outer edge of fiberglass cloth for boiling and quicker heat and a secondary inner chamber pot of fiberglass cloth that creates a smaller flame for simmering once the outer flame curtain goes out (and self-ignites the inner well)..or use the outer only for quick heat,or the inner burner only for extended burns up to about 50 minutes total.I only need to carry one stove that way.I haven't done any serious efficiency tests because my hiking is short 2-3 day stuff and I'm not concerned with it.As long as I can heat water quickly,simmer, and bake,or any combination of both options by filling/lighting THE STOVE ONCE and it shifting automatically so I don't have to fiddle with it..I'm happy! :DB: I don't think I use more than about two ounces ever at one time so just pack a regular bottle of heet for a three day trip..just eyeball the "fills",never measure anything.
It's heavier at 2 to 2.5 oz.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy