Wicks

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
heckdog

Wicks

Postby heckdog » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:37 pm

I'd like to add a wick to the base of a Supercat. I found wick material at the craft store but is was $20 for a spool. Any cheaper ideas? Will cotton string work?

Thanks

zelph

Re: Wicks

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:57 pm

heckdog wrote:I'd like to add a wick to the base of a Supercat. I found wick material at the craft store but is was $20 for a spool. Any cheaper ideas? Will cotton string work?

Thanks

Cotton won't work. Craft stores may have some fiberglass wick in the candle making section. Skids uses some self adhering fiberglass gasket material purchased at Ace hardware I believe.

I'll send you some 1/16 dia. along with the Presidential Debate results. The're more negative than positive here in IL.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:19 pm

[img]
Respect
Senator Barack Obama, Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Hillary Clinton and Ruth Harkin stand during the national anthem.
Barack Hussein Obama's photo (that's his real name)......the article said he REFUSED TO NOT ONLY PUT HIS HAND ON HIS HEART DURING THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, BUT REFUSED TO SAY THE PLEDGE.....how in the hell can a man like this expect to be our next Commander-in-Chief????
[/img]

Sorry, the pic did not load. All the candidates had their hand over their heart but not good ol' Barack!

Ps. Sorry for this interruption on your normally scheduled programming, please continue on with your discussions on Wicks and let's try to leave politics out of it because instead of getting 2 cups of water boilingm we get a body full of blood heating up. NOT good !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:[img]
Respect
Senator Barack Obama, Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Hillary Clinton and Ruth Harkin stand during the national anthem.
Barack Hussein Obama's photo (that's his real name)......the article said he REFUSED TO NOT ONLY PUT HIS HAND ON HIS HEART DURING THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, BUT REFUSED TO SAY THE PLEDGE.....how in the hell can a man like this expect to be our next Commander-in-Chief????
[/img]

Sorry, the pic did not load. All the candidates had their hand over their heart but not good ol' Barack!

Ps. Sorry for this interruption on your normally scheduled programming, please continue on with your discussions on Wicks and let's try to leave politics out of it because instead of getting 2 cups of water boilingm we get a body full of blood heating up. NOT good !

I'm shocked!!!! Thanks for the heads-up ridgerunner. I deleted my statement about him. Sorry to have raised politics.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am

OK,Zelph, now that we are back to stove topics(wicks) , I would like to take a moment to pick your noggin' for a second. I have always wondered , what is the ideaology of double wall stoves? Take the Trangia for instance, is there wicking material(back on subject) or some other absorbing material between the walls or is it just dead air? Understanding concepts of stove building will only help nurture my creativity. I'm sure this is like Stovie Concepts 101, but I missed the class and just wanted the end results. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:01 am

Ridgerunner wrote:OK,Zelph, now that we are back to stove topics(wicks) , I would like to take a moment to pick your noggin' for a second. I have always wondered , what is the ideaology of double wall stoves? Take the Trangia for instance, is there wicking material(back on subject) or some other absorbing material between the walls or is it just dead air? Understanding concepts of stove building will only help nurture my creativity. I'm sure this is like Stovie Concepts 101, but I missed the class and just wanted the end results. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated ;)

Its got a flat wick a round the iner wall top to bottom like a sock
Man play with fire man get burnt

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:42 am

There goes the big secret. :D
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:09 am

I assume you are referring to the trangia. It would work like a kerosene heater. By absorbing alcohol, does it prolong the burn time and decrease the heat output at all? What about other double walled stoves such as some brasslite stoves---do they have wicking material? Does a double wall serve to guide fuel to a certain part of the stove, serve as a retaining wall for wicks, add weight to the stove, maybe all of the above? Seams like some stoves have double walls with no wicking material :roll:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:34 am

Ridgerunner wrote:

I assume you are referring to the trangia. It would work like a kerosene heater. By absorbing alcohol, does it prolong the burn time and decrease the heat output at all? What about other double walled stoves such as some brasslite stoves---do they have wicking material? Does a double wall serve to guide fuel to a certain part of the stove, serve as a retaining wall for wicks, add weight to the stove, maybe all of the above? Seams like some stoves have double walls with no wicking material :roll:

with a wick it does not need to boil the alcohol way to hot to work it does it at the top with out a wick it boils at the bottom
Man play with fire man get burnt

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:44 am

Ridgerunner wrote:

The Brasslite is a different deal. It's a 'chimney' type stove that creates a small updraft that allows you to use just a centerhole with no jets. Smaller flame pattern but still lots of heat.

Cat stoves and kitten stoves are homemade examples of this style.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Return to “Stove Making Tips”