where to buy certain Fiberglass twine/cloth

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
jdempsey

where to buy certain Fiberglass twine/cloth

Post by jdempsey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Question guys. Where can I get fiberglass twine/rope/yarn whatever, that people wrap their heineken pots in?

Also, I bought some fiberglass cloth from walmart in the auto department, but man that shit frays easily, is hard to work with, and seems like it will burn out over time, I've already burned through some.. Dan Yeruski mentions this in a post on the "other" BPL forums from last year in regards to his cobalt stove:

"Hi Mark, Yes it's special. It's designed for commercial applications. Designed to withstand 1700 degree temperatures. It is not wick material, it is cloth, 2" wide, with selveded edges along the 2' dimension.It's totaly different than what is used on Tinny's wick stoves. It does not come in contact with oxygen as does the wick material used on the bluefly stove made by Tinny,"

Anybody know where to get the stuff he's talking about? Or some other tighter weave fiberglass cloth, preferably with a finished edge?

Thanks!

DarenN

Re: where to buy certain Fiberglass twine/cloth

Post by DarenN » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:59 pm

i'd bet money that Zelph knows. him and that Yeruski fellow are pretty close. ;)

if you have a boat shop, or chandlery, or fiberglass repair supplier in your area, ask for "woven roving" and "fiberglass tape".

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

jdempsey

Post by jdempsey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Oh, is that zelph?

Hah. ok.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:36 pm

jdempsey wrote:Oh, is that zelph?

Hah. ok.
:mrgreen: the truth be known......give your address and I'll send you some and give you a location to purchase some :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

lite hiker

Post by lite hiker » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 pm

http://wickstore.com/ is where i got mine.
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:16 pm

It is not wick material, it is cloth, 2" wide, with selveded edges along the 2' dimension.It's totaly different than what is used on Tinny's wick stoves.
It's not wick like the prickly stuff used by the guy that made the video showing himself licking the fibers off :roll: bad example to the young weebles that follow him around ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/