fuel

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
bmike

fuel

Post by bmike » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 am

i'm intrigued by fuel.
i've been playing with denatured alcohol from the hardware store.
i'm concerned about what i'm breathing in when i'm testing all these stoves.
sometimes the stuff smells a bit funny, and when i leave the garage and come back i can tell i was burning something in there...

i'm not too keen on developing some sort of lung problems from my stovie affliction.
what can i switch to that is clean and green? (or cleaner and greener than denatured?)

are there medical alcohols that burn clean?
drinking alcohols that will boil water?

i'm a newbie here - but after destroying a bunch of aluminum bottles tonight and testing some stove designs... i'm getting concerned with headaches and what might be entering my lungs.

zelph

Re: fuel

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:35 am

bmike wrote:i'm intrigued by fuel.
i've been playing with denatured alcohol from the hardware store.
i'm concerned about what i'm breathing in when i'm testing all these stoves.
sometimes the stuff smells a bit funny, and when i leave the garage and come back i can tell i was burning something in there...

i'm not too keen on developing some sort of lung problems from my stovie affliction.
what can i switch to that is clean and green? (or cleaner and greener than denatured?)

are there medical alcohols that burn clean?
drinking alcohols that will boil water?

i'm a newbie here - but after destroying a bunch of aluminum bottles tonight and testing some stove designs... i'm getting concerned with headaches and what might be entering my lungs.
Switch to 190 proof grain alcohol. In my area it goes by the name "Everclear" It's clean and clear :D put some green food dye in it like Oops56 does to make it more easily seen and you then have the green portion of the "clean and green"

I hope you're a non-smoker :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Re: fuel

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Your headaches might be from carbonmonoxide given off durring the burn make sure you are well ventalated durring your burns. I agree they put some awful stuff in the mystery bottle of denatured alcohol. Try Heet in the yellow bottle or if you know where there is a truck stop get some of the pure methynol brake line antifreeze the truckers use for there trailers. The Everclear is another great solution but you may end up with a different problem there, drinking stove fuel will give you a whole new meaning for headache in the morning,lol! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"