fancee feest queston

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

Re: fancee feest queston

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Knotty wrote:
GiroToGo wrote:I made a fancee feest, but I couldn't get 2 cups of water to boil on .5 oz. Any suggestions?
How close did you come?

Boiling is actually a tremendous waste of energy. The phase change from liquid to gas provides no benefit to cooking. The boil is just a convenient visual reference that lets us know we got the water hot w/o the need for a thermometer. Sorry. Getting off topic. :)
I totally agree. I use 1/2 ounce of fuel and what ever temp it reaches is good enough for me. Almost everyone is married to boiling water. :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:46 pm

zelph wrote:
Knotty wrote:
GiroToGo wrote:I made a fancee feest, but I couldn't get 2 cups of water to boil on .5 oz. Any suggestions?
How close did you come?

Boiling is actually a tremendous waste of energy. The phase change from liquid to gas provides no benefit to cooking. The boil is just a convenient visual reference that lets us know we got the water hot w/o the need for a thermometer. Sorry. Getting off topic. :)
I totally agree. I use 1/2 ounce of fuel and what ever temp it reaches is good enough for me. Almost everyone is married to boiling water. :roll:
"The Boil" is a convenient marker for us. everyone knows what a boil is.
we don't all have the technological capabilities of a laboratory, but we still need a 'marker' that all can relate to.

let's say we all decide to just record times per fuel used to raise the water temp to, say, 170*F.
what about thermometer in accuracies? i know mine is off by at least 6*F at the boil. i only use it as a reference during the burn.
when the pot starts to boil is when i stop the clock.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Knotty

Post by Knotty » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:21 am

No doubt boiling is the most convenient and consistent marker to use. For testing it's the way to go. For field use it's rarely needed.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I agree, a boil is a marker for making stoves .

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Is boiling to 170F good enough...doesn't have to be 210F?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:05 pm

170 isn't "boiling" is it?I would think it all depends on the water you use(brought from home or pumped from an unknown quality source?),your purpose for the water(do you like coffee HOT?),and what makes you happy.The "boil" just gives one a standard for all testing purposes...For testing..212 degrees/1/2oz fuel/time.. makes all conditions the same throughout the country other than the start temperature of the water,the temperature of the room of the testing,indoors or out,wind or not..and other details...Lots of variables.Try starting at 70 degree water and see what you get!Where are these people getting preheated 70 degree start water? :o..Must be the kitchen inhouse tap at grandma's house..my house is usually 65 or so but my garage water tap is usually less than 55 degrees...
I would say most people are testing stoves using ideal conditions,inside or whatever helps the stats on their stoves.The few stoves I've tested seem to start here with 50 degree water(around here),and 50 degree room temperatures..and don't seem up to par for the builder's claims..but that doesn't really concern me because I have no plans on using them here.
If they do their job in the field where they are needed..fine!My hiking isn't "thru hikes",more 2 day trips and I always carry extra fuel anyway.One bottle of heet works fine for 2 day trips if I'm using an alcohol stove for cooking.
One more thing..If you use a heine pot for testing,more than likely you can get better results with a wider thin aluminum or stainless pan producing more heat on a wider bottom with less loss of heat.Try that next time.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:38 pm

I have single lever kitchen faucet that makes it easy to adjust the water temp to 70 degrees. I try to keep everything constant.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:06 pm

zelph wrote:I have single lever kitchen faucet that makes it easy to adjust the water temp to 70 degrees. I try to keep everything constant.
same here. my Gran called them an "Elbow Tap". 'cause you can turn it on and off when your hands are full. ;)

if i'm doing a lot of testing (like recently) i'll have a big jug of water on the counter so i don't have to mess with the tap to get room temp water.
room temp in my testing kitchen is 70*F.
just tinkering wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that boil has various values. I was talking to a guy who developed a cool stove that boils 63F water in under 5 minutes with 1/2 oz of denatured alcohol. Well, digging in a little deeper, he is testing at 5200' which drops the boiling point to ~203F and not 212F. Additionally, being in higher elevations tends to have an impact on the barometric pressure. So altitude and barometric pressure should be noted when evaluating stove performance.
JT;
is there a formula for figuring boil temp at altitude?

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:26 pm

One of my main nonexpressed points was that water temperature in the field is RARELY 70 degrees Farenheit unless you are in Hawaii or the far SW.Unless a person starts at that temperature,you may not get the same results or claims on ANY of the stoves you buy...Of course I can adjust the temperature of any faucet to 70 degrees,but don't consider that normal "coldtap" temperature.
I guess I wasn't clear on that point...Personally I don't expect ANY stoves to have the same results as claimed...it's like tents weighing x.x lbs of pack weight when you buy them... :lol: ..yeah,right....but they forgot to add cord,stakes,and all the other stuff needed to actually use them...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 am

I suspect all stove makers/sellers should specify on their listing how they achieved a 2 cup boil. On a forum like this I give results acheived in my kitchen or garage. Field results will always be different.