brazing or silver soldering brass tubing

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
stevebo

brazing or silver soldering brass tubing

Post by stevebo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 am

Hey guys, I am experimenting with brass tubing--------the kind you buy at the hobby shop. I need to assemble/join several pieces together and need some advice. Is it hard to braze this type of small diameter tubing? What equiptment do I need? Also, is silver solder a viable alternative for a piece that is going to get very hot? Any suggestions? Thanks! (if any one on the net would know, it would be you guys!) FYI-----I tried jb weld on a prototype, it held together just long enough for me to see that my idea was valid. The joint doesnt have to be terribly strong, but has to be able to handle the heat. Which would be stronger, brazing, or silver solder? Which method would have the highest temp rating?

Bfinnigan

Re: brazing or silver soldering brass tubing

Post by Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 am

Considering the thin wall of hobby brass and it's lower melting point you would have better success just using regular solder and a propane torch. But the question is what temps will you need it to withstand? I have solder that melts at 190 deg, 320 500 and 800. Most propane torches get up to 1200 and MAPP gas to 1350. Just check to see what the melt point of the solder is before buying it. You can always use pop rivets. dome pinning and dimple rivets sometimes. Even JB weld works up to 600 deg (F).

Some pics might give me a better idea of what you're trying to do.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks Bfinnigan, that was helpful to me.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

stevebo

Post by stevebo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks for the info! One more quick question, Is there a particular type of solder that works good with brass? What about the solder they use to join copper plumbing, whats the temp rating on that type? Would that work on brass? And also, what do I need to do to clean /prepare the surface before soldering?

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 am

Use steel wool to prep surface and be sure it's grease free.

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 am

Most plumbing solder will work. Brass is an assorted mixture of copper, zinc and tin all which will bond with solder. A small amount of flux will help draw the solder into the joints. Good luck and it's OK to mess it up a few times. Just do it until you get to work.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 am

Interesting..Guess I'll have to try soldering this one back up..JB weld wasn't worth a damn..Maybe I can get oops to buy it yet... :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3687&p=25566&hilit=spoofer#p25566
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 pm

50/50 solder used in plumbing and sheet metal work melts at about 420*.
as a test, i built a copper pipe burner with the end plates soldered on with 50/50. it stood up to the heat.

silver solder has a far higher melting temp, but it's a bit more tricky to do, and takes a special flux. i have silver soldered small tubing (and other parts) useing a propane torch.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:11 am

This is going to be handy for soldering etc. Thanks to BFinnigan for the use of his picture :D

stevebo

Post by stevebo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks for the great info guys! I bought a torch, some silver solder, flux , and some brass tubing yesterday---------combine that with a couple of bottles of alcohol,(yes I am a true "stovie" and burn alot more alcohol than I drink!) and a couple of half baked ideas , sounds like a pretty good weekend to me!------I'll keep you posted!