brazing or silver soldering brass tubing

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
stevebo

Re: brazing or silver soldering brass tubing

Post by stevebo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:41 pm

One more question guys, with silver solder, can you solder steel to brass? What I want to do is have a secure set of threads going into the side of thin wall brass tubing----------a rivnut would be great, but there isnt enough room (its 1/4 inch tubing) In a perfect world, I could solder a brass threaded insert into the side of the tubing (but I havnt had any luck finding a 8-24 or 8-32 threaded brass insert that would work) I could use a brass flange nut, if they existed , so I wanted to know if it was possible to solder steel to brass------------

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

You can but it's a bit trickier since they heat up and cool down at different rates. That is more for using oxy/acetylene and rods formulated for it.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:59 pm

stevebo wrote:One more question guys, with silver solder, can you solder steel to brass? What I want to do is have a secure set of threads going into the side of thin wall brass tubing----------a rivnut would be great, but there isnt enough room (its 1/4 inch tubing) In a perfect world, I could solder a brass threaded insert into the side of the tubing (but I havnt had any luck finding a 8-24 or 8-32 threaded brass insert that would work) I could use a brass flange nut, if they existed , so I wanted to know if it was possible to solder steel to brass------------
Use a 1/4" brass "tee". Press one or two 8-32 brass nuts into the one section of the "tee" and braze around them to secure. Hope that makes sense.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/