PRIMER PAN CUT 2 MINUTES OFF OF MY BOIL TIME!(EDIT: Bad Fuel

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
JollyRogers

PRIMER PAN CUT 2 MINUTES OFF OF MY BOIL TIME!(EDIT: Bad Fuel

Post by JollyRogers » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:37 am

Holy Cow! Never made a primer pan for any of my stoves as I mistakenly figured that it only made the stove bloom faster. Normally I would just spray a little alcohol on the ceramic stove top that I do my tests on.

I just did some burn tests using my Jack stove with the same pot, fuel, stove, same temperature water, everything and my boil time dropped from about 7:30 to 5:30. My bloom time also dropped from about 20 seconds to about 9. It appears the soup can lid I was using heats up pretty quickly and keeps heat from being sapped out of the bottom of my stove. The only issue I did notice was that the stove tended to flare up a bit until the alcohol completely burned off of the primer pan.

What a pleasant surprise. :DP:
Last edited by JollyRogers on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Re: PRIMER PAN CUT 2 MINUTES OFF OF MY BOIL TIME!

Post by realityguy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:28 am

Did you use more fuel for the primer pan than the original amount of fuel you normally use..or take the "primer pan fuel" out of the original amount?Fuel conservation people will be asking that question... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JollyRogers

Re: PRIMER PAN CUT 2 MINUTES OFF OF MY BOIL TIME!

Post by JollyRogers » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Well, I stand corrected. it seems this was an anomaly of bad fuel. I have since been unable to recreate the effects with a new batch of fuel. I was using Heet when I noticed the change but ran out of Heet. I have since tried to recreate the test with other fuels available and have been unsuccessful. I have done several burn tests with denatured alcohol and air line anti-freeze(methanol) and have not had near the results.
If anything, the denatured alcohol is burning hotter and has shorter boil times, however it is also leaving a light burn residue on my stove. The methanol, (air line anti-freeze), is actually taking longer to boil, however, it does seem to burn under less pressure. When doing my tests the anti-freeze didn't snuff out as fast at the end of the burn and tended to linger with the smallest flame each time.

So sorry to get peoples hopes up. :oops:

zelph

Re: PRIMER PAN CUT 2 MINUTES OFF OF MY BOIL TIME!(EDIT: Bad

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:15 pm

You've done very well. Good lessons learned.

Denatured wins the award of "best" fuel to use.

Show us the "jack" stove
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/