Stove Fuel

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
Hobo62288

Stove Fuel

Postby Hobo62288 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:51 am

Ok, just curious about this. For the most part the recommended fuel for alcohol stoves seems to be denatured alcohol or the yellow HEET bottle. So at my local Wal-Mart a 4 pack for HEET is about $5.50 to $6 after taxes. All that is in that bottle is methanol, correct? If that's the case then couldn't you just go to a local oil company, drag strip, or somewhere similar and buy methanol buy the gallon? It would be like $3-$4 a gallon I'm guessing. I was just curious and since there are a couple places in my town where I could buy it I thought I would ask the alcohol stove guru's here. Much thanks in advance for any info and sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to find some info to verify exactly what I'm asking but most what I found was about RC car's.

zelph

Re: Stove Fuel

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Sure thing, if you have a local source to buy it by the gallon by all means get what you need from there. Most serious DIY stove makers use denatured alcohol and purchase by the gallon. More BTU's than HEET in yellow bottle.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

FireTamer

Postby FireTamer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:29 pm

You also may want to check your local speed shops. Most of them have methanol in 5gal. cans. Prices range anywhere from $20.00 to $40.00 for it. When my current supply of HEET runs out, that's what I'll be doing.

FT

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 pm

While your at it get some liquid nitrous oxide. :lol: Mix it 50/50
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Stove Making Tips”