Fancee Feest simmer

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
Tony

Re: Fancee Feest simmer

Postby Tony » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi Darren,

we've discussed the concave bottom of the Heiny-can causing turbulance in the flame on some burners. i fixed it! i'll post pics in the pimp thread in a day or so.

I believe that turbulance can be benificial to efficiency as it slows down the flame over the bottom of the pot therefore allowing better heat transfere to the water. I have a scientific paper on the topic and I have been trying to design this feature into my stoves.

Tony

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Tony;
in the case of the Heiny-pot over a flat topped open burner (Starlyte, Screencan) the type of turbulence caused by the concave bottom of the can does not seem to be benifitial. what ive seen in my testing is that the flame actually spins around the bottom of the can causing serious heat loss far out from the side of the can. also a decrease in burn time on a given fuel load.

with a jet type burner (pepsi-g, penny, photon) where the flame has it's own inherent stability i can see the posibility of the turbulence being helpful. the jet types aren't so easily displaced by light air currents.

i'll post some pics in the "pimp my Heiny" thread. we should discuss it in that thread.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Daren, I found the right size can and it works great. It holds the water temp at 200 degrees. On Monday I'll try and get a movie of how it works. It works tha same way as the can and the StarLyte UltraLyte. Once the water reaches a boil, the pot is removed, the stove is snuffed out with the can, the stove put into the can, re-lit and pot returned to the stove. The stove is then stored in the simmer/snuffer can.

Anyone that has made a starlyte or fancy feast type stove will now be able to simmer with it. I wonder what the ratio is at present, the amount of people wanting to simmer their meals while on thru hikes and on section hikes. Whatever it is, they can now do it with these two stoves.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:57 pm

in reality i doubt that this is of much interest to the hard-core thru-hiker types. but some of us don't hike/camp that way cause we are in less of a hurry.
two examples:
i hike in from my cabin in the Okanagan to my favorite fishing hole on the Kettle river. right where a stream runs in on a bend in the river! :D set camp and fish for two days. i need to pan-fry fillets of wild rainbow, so i need a moderate heat on the tiny frypan.
or:
i'm kayaking in the Gulf Islands and i catch a couple nice big crabs. i need to bring the water to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

kayaking allows for carrying lots more gear, so a second burner and potstand ain't that big a deal. i have cooked a FBC rice or noodles dish as the crab cooked.

Daren.........

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:57 pm

I agree with you Daren, so it winds up being a big plus for the section hikers. They are the ones in all reality the ones that are doing the simmering. Section Hikers being the majority over the Thru Hikers I would speculate.

I'm hungry for fish!!!! I'll open a can of salmon or tuna :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:14 pm

DarenN wrote:i hike in from my cabin in the Okanagan to my favorite fishing hole on the Kettle river. right where a stream runs in on a bend in the river! :D set camp and fish for two days. i need to pan-fry fillets of wild rainbow, so i need a moderate heat on the tiny frypan.
or:
i'm kayaking in the Gulf Islands and i catch a couple nice big crabs. i need to bring the water to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

kayaking allows for carrying lots more gear, so a second burner and potstand ain't that big a deal. i have cooked a FBC rice or noodles dish as the crab cooked.

Daren.........

How much water needed to boil 2 large crabs?

The fancee Feest has the capacity of 3 ounces of fuel and is now cable of simmering. I think I'll be doing alot of simmer cooking this year.

Here is what it looks like fired up and the simmer pot in place.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:34 pm

zelph wrote:
How much water needed to boil 2 large crabs?

depends on the method.
if you have to boil them submerged, could be as much as a couple quarts of water.
i like to steam them over the water rather than in it. this requires an accessory like a "bakepacker". this only uses a couple of cups of water (it's nice to add some wine to the water, if you lean that way. i do! :mrgreen: ).

i'm glad to see that the simmer ring is working out for you 8-)

Daren.......

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:41 pm

depends on the method.
if you have to boil them submerged, could be as much as a couple quarts of water.
i like to steam them over the water rather than in it. this requires an accessory like a "bakepacker". this only uses a couple of cups of water (it's nice to add some wine to the water, if you lean that way. i do! ).

I think it's the wine that makes you lean and eventually lisp from side to side :lol:

How long to steam the crabs? I'm going to try steaming some crayfish with wine, sounds good. As the alcohol boils off we can ignite the vapor and heat something. Dual purpose :mrgreen:

This is trully a great idea Daren. The concept of denying oxygen to reduce flame is good. I think it was used in the stove called Brasslite. I'm going to do some serious design with stainless steel and add it to the Fancee Feest be fore i relist it on ebay. It'l be included with the stove for simmering.

I found a photo of the stove mentioned above. You can see the simmer feature that revolves around the outside of the stove to cover the holes that allows air to enter the stove for combustion.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:26 pm

zelph wrote:How long to steam the crabs? I'm going to try steaming some crayfish with wine, sounds good.

at least ten minutes, but not more than twenty.

when i was younger and lived in Saskatchewan we used to have crayfish parties. everyone wading around in the water flipping over rocks and grabbing crayfish. boiled them up in a big pot over a fire on the beach. good times.

Daren.....

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:51 pm

I just use mine to make char cloth 1/2 oz. is just the right time to cook it in the can.

Man play with fire man get burnt

Return to “Stove Making Tips”