Stove Windscreen Material

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
GAGA

Re: Stove Windscreen Material

Postby GAGA » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm

try a piece of this , folds nicely and is lightweight
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:14 pm

You could spend 5 bucks and buy a EZ-Fold corugated windscreen from zelph :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:54 pm

I use the aluminum oven liner pans from my local grocery store. They get a little wrinkled because I just fold it up into a square and shove it in my cooking pot. I have used one screen all summer and it just went to hell this fall when I ran my stove way to hot. But otherwise, it has faired quite well. One thing I wish I could improve is the shape. Since I fold it up it's hard to get that perfect, smooth, circular shape so the spacing around the pot is consistent.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:36 pm

One thing I wish I could improve is the shape. Since I fold it up it's hard to get that perfect, smooth, circular shape so the spacing around the pot is consistent.

Instead of folding it up, just wrap it around the outside of your pot, then work the circle a little tighter so it fits just inside your pot. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:14 pm

dlarson wrote:I use the aluminum oven liner pans from my local grocery store. They get a little wrinkled because I just fold it up into a square and shove it in my cooking pot. I have used one screen all summer and it just went to hell this fall when I ran my stove way to hot. But otherwise, it has faired quite well. One thing I wish I could improve is the shape. Since I fold it up it's hard to get that perfect, smooth, circular shape so the spacing around the pot is consistent.

You can roll the wrinkles out of a foil wind screen with a rolling pin from your kitchen.

Cheers!

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
One thing I wish I could improve is the shape. Since I fold it up it's hard to get that perfect, smooth, circular shape so the spacing around the pot is consistent.

Instead of folding it up, just wrap it around the outside of your pot, then work the circle a little tighter so it fits just inside your pot. ;)

True. I was packing two stoves, a pot stand, a primer plate, a plastic cup, a mini Bic lighter, and a small bag of coffee in my cooking pot and the windscreen just didn't fit very well unless I folded it up. I think the main problem is my pot stand which is a fixed 4 leg design. A collapsible pot stand would probably work better. I'll try wrapping the windscreen with a different pot stand.

Allen wrote:
dlarson wrote:One thing I wish I could improve is the shape. Since I fold it up it's hard to get that perfect, smooth, circular shape so the spacing around the pot is consistent.

You can roll the wrinkles out of a foil wind screen with a rolling pin from your kitchen.

Cheers!

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that but it's a good idea. I'll try that next time my windscreen gets wrinkled up. Thanks.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Hold both ends, pull over the edge of a table at a 90 degree. A couple of times should flatten it out :geek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm

I just noticed that the aluminum oven liners I bought are textured.
They are like the one in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71502646@N00/2625899895/

I wonder if it would better to leave the texture for strength or to flatten it out when I make a new wind screen?

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 pm

dlarson wrote:I just noticed that the aluminum oven liners I bought are textured.
They are like the one in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71502646@N00/2625899895/

I wonder if it would better to leave the texture for strength or to flatten it out when I make a new wind screen?

The texture might also add surface area to effect temp. in the original pan design, it may have
been there to allow fat to drain away from the meat being roasted.

Unless Your windscreen is supporting the pot, it should be strong enough either way.

Cheers!

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:23 am

Allen wrote:Unless Your windscreen is supporting the pot, it should be strong enough either way.

Good point!

Return to “Stove Making Tips”