Optimus 8R

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
DarenN

Optimus 8R

Postby DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:15 pm

i picked this one up from craigslist. it's not in really good shape. the clips are both broken off, but i have them, as well as the wrench. even beat up and rusty the stove works very well even without changing the fuel.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Re: Optimus 8R

Postby oops56 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 pm

DarenN wrote:i picked this one up from craigslist. it's not in really good shape. the clips are both broken off, but i have them, as well as the wrench. even beat up and rusty the stove works very well even without changing the fuel.

Daren.......

Looks good new paint be nice now do you know all the little tricks be side watch it burn
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:40 pm

tricks? like useing alcohol to pre-heat so it doesn't get all sooty? warming the tank with your hand to move fuel to the jet?

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 pm

DarenN wrote:tricks? like useing alcohol to pre-heat so it doesn't get all sooty? warming the tank with your hand to move fuel to the jet?

only full tank 3/4 full and before you light and did not add fuel open fill cap cause the last when it was hot the tank will have vacuum and not light up good. make sure the gasket in cap is soft if hard do not burn it out just pick it out cause there a rubber gasket in the pressure release valve also when its burning check the presser re leve with water to see if it leaks. ok thats it for now

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:48 pm

I kept one of those..just like the one you have pictured with the plastic knob.I do have the instructions for the 8R on the computer in scans if you want them ;just let me know..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:05 pm

thanks RG. i downloaded the 8R instructions from the optimus website when i bought my #99, about a year ago.

Irvingdog

Postby Irvingdog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:42 pm

This has been a fun little exchange to watch.
Web communities are cool.....

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Irvingdog wrote:This has been a fun little exchange to watch.
Web communities are cool.....

this particular web community is very cool. it's also the exception to the norm. we have few members and not much traffic (comparitivelty) but we don't fight amongst ourselves or point fingers at each other over differences of opinion. there are several kayaking webforums that i stopped visiting because of all the damn politics.

Daren....

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

I agree!!!! We're family ;)

The heat sheild is interesting, only 1/4 inch of air space between the sheild and tank, maybe less.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:34 pm

zelph wrote:I agree!!!! We're family ;)

The heat sheild is interesting, only 1/4 inch of air space between the sheild and tank, maybe less.

I have a lot to say on these type of stoves oops for got :lol: :lol: :lol: on a 8r not to big of pot over tank run tank to hot i have a gauge made for them to check the pressures of tank as its burningn must do over the wright it down let you know later the pressures vavle releave is set at 70 to 80 psi thats a new one i have jig to re set them check all mine out and fix them with new gasket then reset it about 75 psi

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”