Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
oops56

Re: Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

Postby oops56 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 pm

realityguy wrote:I always wondered if Oops..still has eyebrows after all his stove testing... :mrgreen:
:lol:

yes i got my eyebrows but years ago where i work i did lose them open a very hot oven door burnt them off not knowing it till someone told me :oops: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

viscara

Postby viscara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:29 pm

IMG_3287copymed.jpg
New stove before lighting it
oops56 wrote:yup they both are 123r they have a cleaning needles the flame goes to one side my be wore out but as long it burns ok and nice and blue it be ok .When you turn all the way to the left the cleaning blocks the jet holel to clean it out and the fuel cant get out then so do it fast the needle was for unlead gas but Coleman is clean and why it dont shut off all the way the cleaning needle is not set right under the jet its in there like a rack and pion deal must be set on number e teeth any type pot stand will work make sure it a open type like a hardware cloth or 2 rocks 2 bricks well there more to it this may help P. S.never leave the key in the valve when its fired up or you get a svea thumb :lol: :lol:
oh i got a video on it my help some at you tube at [rjburg ]

Thanks "Oops56" I hear your the man around here as well as in the garage and outdoors. :) I am seriously envious of your collection of stoves in your garage. I did take the stove burner jet out and looked at closely and it seams to be very clear and open hole. The cleaning needle when I turn the valve or key to the left all the way makes the cleaning needle stick up past the jet about 1mm or 2 mm of the tip showing out the top of the jet. Is that to much needle pushing thru the jet? I did fire the stove up and ran it for 20 minutes and it seems to run ok and hot and strong with blue flame. But when I turn it off by turning key to the left all the way it does turn flame off but after about 15 seconds the fuel starts to bubble out of the jet in a little dribble and soon ends up dribbling enough fuel out the tip that it pools up around the priming well at the valve and even will over flow it with spewing fuel till it leaks all over the tanks outside. Not until I open the the fill cap a hair slowing to relieve the tank pressure does the fuel stop dribbling out of the jet tip. Is this due to not using the potstand cage that has a bit of a heatshield built into it to sheild the fuel tank a bit? The tank does seam to be a bit warm after running stove for 20 minutes. Should I try shielding the fuel tank a bit to keep it from maybe getting to hot since I dont have the potstand that supposed to come with it? I am uploading photos of it now as I finally got my Mac OS up and running again.
Attachments
IMG_3309copymed.jpg
Here she is firing up for the first time notice the favoring flame to one side?
New guy to the stovy club but loving it. Own SVEA 123 and Coleman 1950' military stove, MSR Pocket Rocket,and make my own alchy stoves.

viscara

Postby viscara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:40 pm

zelph wrote:
I been granted a treasured gift by a dear old friend and mentor. The other day for my birthday my good friend bought me and himself a pair of SVEA 123's? or SVEA 123R? not sure which models they are. He bought one for me and one for him.

Life is good to both of you!!!

Happy birthday :DBfire: :happymeal: :cheers:

Oops56 is the SVEA expert. :D

Zelph yes I really do consider myself lucky. As I was shocked to see these little SVEA's go from 6months ago from 100/120 dollars to now 160/170 dollars now on ebay. And those are not even the good old ones by Primus or Optimus they are the new supposedly made in china ones. The man that bought this for me is one of the nicest guys you could know. He is a bit of a Mentor to me in life and teaches me many things in life. I swear he is so smart and there is not anything that guy can not fix or do. I think I did flip flops when he said he got me a birthday present and handed me this vintage stove. I actually owned one 28 years ago as my first stove that I bought in a Garage sale for 14.00 bucks "A lot of money back then for a 15year old kid" I had it for 10 years or so and it grew legs some how and I lost it. I always loved my old SVEA123 as it never seemed to fail me. It may have flamed up priming and been a bit noisy but that thing always cooked a meal backpacking or when I used it on my Bicycling Touring that I used to do. Other friends had MSR's or other fancy stoves and they poked fun at my vintage old stove but mine always worked unlike the few times that their stoves would sometimes fail. So when I got this one from a Mentor like my friend I pretty excited to say the least.

This is one of the reasons I want to get this stove back up to near new and sort of "Restore" it. My next project is to get a SVEA 00 or 01 for cooking or using at home and a Optimus 8R but phew 200 bucks for a 8r on ebay! I will have to wait till I find one on craigslist or hunting garage sales. Zelph I have to say you know your way around the alcky stoves. I seen your videos many of times great stuff.
New guy to the stovy club but loving it. Own SVEA 123 and Coleman 1950' military stove, MSR Pocket Rocket,and make my own alchy stoves.

viscara

Postby viscara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 pm

ConnieD wrote:It was our trip leader for the end of season Mt. Ruth - North Cascades.

He used my SVEA 123. I had never had that happen before.

I am glad it wasn't a fault of the stove.

oops56 is the EXPERT ADVICE.

I also had a screw-on "accessory pump" for it, but never used. Maybe an "accessory pump" is "news" to oops56?

Connie yep you have the original and "Rarer" 123. Which is what I had when I was 15yrs old as my first stove. Oops is totally right I have tried my new SVEA 123R that this thread is about working by priming it with "Alcholol" in the priming troff at the top of the tank. The alchohol for priming seems to work well and more controlled and does not make the stem and valve all black and dirty as alcohol burns cleaner than the White gas for priming. I also noticed if I let it get good and primed like Oops56 said the SVEA123 fired up almost instantly to a Blue flame! it does sputter and stutter a bit but its all blue flame hardly any orange flame at all when starting up! So Oops56 is completely right. He is also right about not needing a filler cap pump as I believe the tank is so small it does not need much to get it pressurized. Funny you mention the Fuel ribbon for priming I used to use that stuff to for my first stove 25 years ago. I liked the Alcohol for priming even better than the ribbon paste though. Give it a try. Hold on to that SVEA123 original those things are rare and expensive now! And like your other post I have seen your right that little rocket seems to be like the little choo choo train that could go forever. I am so happy to finally get a replacement to my old SVEA that got stolen many years ago. Now I cant wait to get a 8R or even if I am lucky a 111 model.
Attachments
IMG_3306copymed.jpg

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm feeling awful lonely not having one of those 123's :cry:

I'll have to start looking for one :o :mrgreen: I need another stove :D A few years ago I saw in a civil War Museum a pocket stove. fit in the palm of your hand, burned alcohol. they wouldn't let me photograph it. :evil:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 pm

the cleaning sounds like may be set wrong will not shut fuel off all the way you can run them with out the cleaning needle but if you never done it just use as is when you shut it down open fuel cap dump out i know a pain the stove will not over heat like it is you can make a hardware cloth pot stand for it or 2 bricks long way up
Man play with fire man get burnt

viscara

Postby viscara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks Oops.. I guess I will leave the needle in the jet or burner. I looked at the needle and the jet hole again and the jet hole seems a tad bit bigger than the needle so maybe the hole in the jet is to big or worn a bit and thats why the needle is a bit loose in the jet hole. I guess I wont worry about it. Do you have any idea why the burn pattern of the flame favors one side? I am including a photo of the stove burning so you can see what I mean.
Attachments
IMG_3306copymed.jpg

viscara

Postby viscara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 pm

zelph wrote:I'm feeling awful lonely not having one of those 123's :cry:

I'll have to start looking for one :o :mrgreen: I need another stove :D A few years ago I saw in a civil War Museum a pocket stove. fit in the palm of your hand, burned alcohol. they wouldn't let me photograph it. :evil:

Wow Zelph I would love to see what tiny stove looked like. Never heard of one before and I enjoy Civil War stuff. If you find a photo on the internet of one post it. And yes you need to get a SVEA123 they are so small and light weight "for a gas stove" and by the way I seen them going up in price I would get one soon before they cost 200 or 250 for one! yikes. I got to try to hunt down a Potstand cage to replace the one I am missing with my new stove.

For Oops56 I will give the 2 red bricks a try "Great idea by the way" Now all I need to do is give my new stove a bit of cleaning up and brass polish to make it look its best.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm

viscara,

I think it has had dirty fuel.

Use clean fuel. Burn it a lot?

viscara, I actually owned one 28 years ago as my first stove that I bought in a Garage sale for 14.00 bucks "A lot of money back then for a 15year old kid" I had it for 10 years or so and it grew legs some how and I lost it. I always loved my old SVEA123 as it never seemed to fail me. It may have flamed up priming and been a bit noisy but that thing always cooked a meal backpacking or when I used it on my Bicycling Touring that I used to do. Other friends had MSR's or other fancy stoves and they poked fun at my vintage old stove but mine always worked unlike the few times that their stoves would sometimes fail.

I think that is what I paid for it.

In fact, it sounds like "my story" except I didn't get into Bicycle Touring until recently. It is loud, isn't it!

viscara

Postby viscara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 pm

ConnieD wrote:viscara,

I think it has had dirty fuel.

Use clean fuel. Burn it a lot?

viscara, I actually owned one 28 years ago as my first stove that I bought in a Garage sale for 14.00 bucks "A lot of money back then for a 15year old kid" I had it for 10 years or so and it grew legs some how and I lost it. I always loved my old SVEA123 as it never seemed to fail me. It may have flamed up priming and been a bit noisy but that thing always cooked a meal backpacking or when I used it on my Bicycling Touring that I used to do. Other friends had MSR's or other fancy stoves and they poked fun at my vintage old stove but mine always worked unlike the few times that their stoves would sometimes fail.

I think that is what I paid for it.

In fact, it sounds like "my story" except I didn't get into Bicycle Touring until recently. It is loud, isn't it!

Yes they are loud but that sure is the part of why I fell in love with the SVEA stove. The loud jet roaring sound is so vintage and unique honestly I think that is why so many probably get attached to these stoves and collect them now. It sort of that loud noisy Harley motorcycle sure there are newer gimmicky no priming canister stove with piezo ignitions on them etc but those cant replace the roar of a vintage SVEA gas stove. Plus the bras tank and fancy victorian looking script fonts on the name stamped on the tank. So so so cool. Also these things are such little tough birds they just keep going and going from what I have seen. I cant wait to find that Optimus 00 or 001 to have around to use in the garage or back patio. But pheww they want almost 300 bucks for those! Thanks for commenting Connie.

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”