For Month of September

zelph

For Month of September

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:22 am

These are mine for September :D

Stainless Steel "Globe" Stove

Hoboelite wood burner made from ss veggie steamer.

Hobo Stove made from aluminum stove elbow.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: For Month of September

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Just thought I'd stick this in here so I can link toit :D

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:40 am

I made a couple of me too wood stoves. The first is a copy of a wood gasifier I made last winter. It burns relatively clean. It is really neat to watch the flames. It looks like tubes of flame flow from the air ports at the top of the inner can inwards towards the center and up as it burns. I stuffed it as full as I could and boiled 2 cups water with one fill. Both stoves blacken pots. The Hienie test pot I have is black and sticky from wood tar after several burns.

I am burning some dry cedar and fir construction scraps. The cedar pop's a lot.

Hienie Gassifier:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 0959/index.

The second is the second build of a tall thin juice can. The 1st I made with a big V cut like the Jim Falk stove. I didn't like the opening that big, it seemed to lose too much heat, so I tried just a small hole for stoking. The burn is better, but it is harder to stoke. I used Oop's patented sink strainer pot stand for the video. I think it restricts airflow too much as it burns more smokey with it. When open it burns hot. Haven't figured out a good pot stand yet. Still a work in progress.

Juice Can Stove:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:19 pm

DaddyMnM, both stoves look like they are getting plenty of air and burning just fine.(without the sink strainer)

Do you think the aluminum can will hold up long?

The tall juice can looks like it work turned upside down also. Start a small fire beneath the round hole and then feed long 1/2 inch twigs/branches into the hole. As the branches burn advance them into the hole as needed. In third world countries they have stoves made of clay that operate in that fashion. Should work with little can stoves also. Give it a try. Seem like Daren had a stove made out of a gallon size can that he was going to add the hole and feed long sticks into it. Hmmmm :?

All wood stoves are gassifiers. Campfires are gassifying wood also to enable them to burn. You have a double walled wood burner. :)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 pm

zelph wrote: Seem like Daren had a stove made out of a gallon size can that he was going to add the hole and feed long sticks into it. Hmmmm :?

i had the side feed but forgot the little shelf. :oops:

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:07 am

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote: Seem like Daren had a stove made out of a gallon size can that he was going to add the hole and feed long sticks into it. Hmmmm :?

Daren......

I forgot where you posted the photo of that one, give me a hint :D I liked that design.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:32 am

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:

Daren......

I forgot where you posted the photo of that one, give me a hint :D I liked that design.

here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1055

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Zelph,

The aluminum can doesn't get hot enough to melt, but after 5 or 6 firings, I can feel it has lost it's temper compared to when it was new. Not enough to collapse, but softer.

The side feed looks like a good idea. I might try that, though I am not sure I'll be working on wood stoves too much more. The test burns are a bit too smokey, and I live too close to my neighbors :( .

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:26 pm

DaddyMnM wrote:Zelph,

The aluminum can doesn't get hot enough to melt, but after 5 or 6 firings, I can feel it has lost it's temper compared to when it was new. Not enough to collapse, but softer.

The side feed looks like a good idea. I might try that, though I am not sure I'll be working on wood stoves too much more. The test burns are a bit too smokey, and I live too close to my neighbors :( .

Wood stoves are fun, campfires are my favorite, it's the boy scout in me, love making fire with sparks and natural tinder. I have a small bag of thistle down that I will ignite and do a video of it to show how easy it is to light. Pooooofffffff, instant fire :mrgreen:

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:19 am

Yeah,

I like playing with fire. I used to take Hi C cans as a kid and a church key and makes stoves for camping in the woods. I didn't think much of it then, it was just something to build and use for free. I lived in the sticks as a kid. Once my dad let me have a bathtub crate and I used it as a frame for a lean to against two trees at the back edge of our property which bordered undeveloped woods. My friends and I covered it with branches, and tree bark, and closed the sides. That hut lasted a long time and 2 or 3 of us kids could sleep in it. We spent a lot of time outdoors as kids. No Nintendo then, thank god.

I am just living a little too in city right now to burn a lot of wood. Its also in the 70's right now, which is nice, but it is too warm for fire. Maybe on some up coming cool breezy fall or winter days.

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”