September Entry

DarenN

September Entry

Postby DarenN » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:13 pm

The Neufeld MK1 Woodstove.

i designed and built this stove specifically for kayakers to carry and use in areas where open fires are banned. that is, lots of the areas we paddle here on the west coast of Canada.

set up on the left. collapsed for packing on the right.

loaded with fuel and ready to light.

Flame On!

the draft created is obvious in this pic.

pot on the stove.

water coming to a boil just as the fire starts to burn down. time = 4min:30sec.

the color of the embers shows the heat still being generated. time = 7min.

the stove is made entirely of scrap 24 gauge stainless steel with a stainless steel welded wire mesh grate and weighs 14 ounces. since i started selling them, about a year and a half ago, i've sold well over 100 copies at $50.00 each.
i've made a couple in aluminum that weigh 6+ ounces, (more difficult to assemble and don't last long enough to market).

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Re: September Entry

Postby DarenN » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 pm

a freind and fellow paddler built this graphic (un-asked).

Daren........

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Got Marshmellows? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 pm

realityguy wrote:Got Marshmellows? :lol:

nope! but we do have fried eggs and kiwi fruit! yummy!! :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:54 pm

That was nice of them. Very professional looking. Is the M the Mercedes Logo?

I like how the MK 1 easily assembles. I'll have to do a video of it's assembly and then become your distributor in the Central States Region. :D

P.S. I'm having fried egg whites for lunch on toasted 7 grain bread. I heard someone say eggs, thought I'd edit my post to let you know. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Since you seem to deal with "wood" stoves a lot..I've got a 4" thin cast aluminum tube(from an outdoor light fixture I presume)and was thinking of making one of those "little bug" stoves out of it,drilling some large holes for ventilation..cut off a couple 1" to 1-1/2"" rings for parts...then cut them in half and run the tube through the table saw(or router table) to slice it in half...maybe mount a couple hinges with removable pins to hold the tube together...
Question..do you think it would be worth my time and effort to make a stove that small size(4" dia)for wood and do you think it would burn okay?I could castle the top with a solid carbide router bit(use a 1/4" bit push down a 1/4" or so and rotate the tube flat on the table) and just use the top for a potstand.Total weight of the tube is 1oz per inch so about 12 oz overall..
Like you,we do have lots of them pinecones around here! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:06 pm

zelph wrote:That was nice of them. Very professional looking. Is the M the Mercedes Logo?

I like how the MK 1 easily assembles. I'll have to do a video of it's assembly and then become your distributor in the Central States Region. :D

P.S. I'm having fried egg whites for lunch on toasted 7 grain bread. I heard someone say eggs, thought I'd edit my post to let you know. :D

i might just have to fry some eggs now too! ;)
the 'M' is just an artistic rendition. DarrenM works in the video industry over on Vancouver Island. i believe that he has some paddling vids on u-tube.

DarenN........

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:16 pm

realityguy wrote: Question..do you think it would be worth my time and effort to make a stove that small size(4" dia)for wood and do you think it would burn okay?I could castle the top with a solid carbide router bit(use a 1/4" bit push down a 1/4" or so and rotate the tube flat on the table) and just use the top for a potstand.Total weight of the tube is 1oz per inch so about 12 oz overall..

in R&D for the MK 1 i found that i could not get enough draft with just a castled top. the holes worked better and allowed for re-fueling without removing the pot. if a stick won't fit through the center (1") hole, it's too big for the stove. 4" diameter might be on the small side, but give it a try! ;) "nothing ventured, nothing gained!", right? ;) :lol:

Daren........

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks..it's too big a tube for an alcohol stove but could possibly be used for both..as a windscreen for one.A bit on the heavy side,but if you don't need to carry fuel..might be worthwhile to use.The holes on top sound like a good idea because of the "feed" idea....If I get it made,I'll post pictures.There are lots of those lightweight cast aluminum fixtures out there in different sizes,round or square, and different lengths..CHEAP!:shock: ;)
The tube is in the back of this picture.The slip ring goes with it...possibly a handle or air control ring...Hey!.. it was only a buck or two and had "stove potential"!!! :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Realityguy has many good items for stove making. Not enough time to put his ideas to the test. :)

Dare, how you coming along with the lighter version?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”