One more for September

grumdrig

One more for September

Postby grumdrig » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:18 am

For my volcano kettle
http://fredricksen.net/kettle/
I had to make a stove that feeds in air from the middle. (The outer ring fits snugly into the kettle chimney - no oxygen comes in at the sides.) It's pretty much a Ring of Fire turned inside-out. I'm not saying there's never been anything like it, but I am saying that *I've* never seen anything like it. :)

Capacity 1oz. Burns pretty slow (by design) at about 9 minutes for 12g of alcohol.

Ridgerunner

Re: One more for September

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Very nice work, grumdrig. I believe this months entries are supposed to be woodburners and if so, then you must definitely enter this stove and kettle for October.
The chimney was made from two 8.4oz Red Bull cans since the V8 cans aren't tall enough.

How are the two Red bull cans mended together? It's great making a kettle that doesn't set you back $75.00 like the Kelly Kettle. ;) I used a aluminum beer bottle for the chimney on my two kettles hoping to take advantage to the constricting bottleneck to capture more heat. Mine is a far cry from being considered ultralight but it is solid and can get by without a storage container :lol: Good Work, Sir ! :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:41 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Very nice work, grumdrig. I believe this months entries are supposed to be woodburners and if so, then you must definitely enter this stove and kettle for October.
The chimney was made from two 8.4oz Red Bull cans since the V8 cans aren't tall enough.

How are the two Red bull cans mended together? It's great making a kettle that doesn't set you back $75.00 like the Kelly Kettle. ;) I used a aluminum beer bottle for the chimney on my two kettles hoping to take advantage to the constricting bottleneck to capture more heat. Mine is a far cry from being considered ultralight but it is solid and can get by without a storage container :lol: Good Work, Sir ! :mrgreen:

Drat! Didn't know about the woodburner stipulation. I'm new around here. And my next project is a woodburner too! Not ready for prime time yet though; well, I'll reenter next month as you suggest.

For the first chimney i left a bit of naturally occurring taper-in at the end of one of the cans and fit one just barely into the other, smeared just a tiny touch of silicone glue on the outside at the overlap, and forced them together a tiny bit more. On the second one I did the same but instead of leaving on the taper, I expanded one end with an expansion tool as described on zenstoves.net. Makes for a cleaner chimney. The overlap is maybe 3/16 to 1/4".

I hadn't seen your kettle til after I posted - that seems mighty cool! I've never seen one of those alum beer bottles anywhere around here in Seattle (or anywhere else, in fact). Any general advice on where to find them?

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:24 pm

The burner is quite nice :D Very original design to have it insideout. If there is a will their is a way, nothing ventured, nothing gained :mrgreen:

Does it burn wood pellets? If it does, it's an entry!!!! :D Glad to have your entry, really nice stove. If not this month, next for sure!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 pm

I hadn't seen your kettle til after I posted - that seems mighty cool! I've never seen one of those alum beer bottles anywhere around here in Seattle (or anywhere else, in fact). Any general advice on where to find them?
grumdrig

Budweiser has aluminum beer bottles and Mountain Dew is also made in special edition aluminum bottles but might cost a bit more. The Buds run about $6 a six pack.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Interesting and good news , grumdrig. I took an aluminum beer bottle and inverted it in a Heine pot and filled with water to where the lid would sit and it holds about 2 1/4 cups of water. If you need a aluminum beer bottle, send me a PM with your address and I will send you a couple bottles. ;)

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Interesting and good news , grumdrig. I took an aluminum beer bottle and inverted it in a Heine pot and filled with water to where the lid would sit and it holds about 2 1/4 cups of water. If you need a aluminum beer bottle, send me a PM with your address and I will send you a couple bottles. ;)

Thanks! I'll take you up on that but I'll dig around some more here first before I put you to the trouble. (Too much focus on microbrews around here I guess...)

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”