MaxiBull Tinney's Rosebud..brass pressurized stove.LTA entry

realityguy

MaxiBull Tinney's Rosebud..brass pressurized stove.LTA entry

Postby realityguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Here's my entry..called Tinney's Rosebud.
This is a two stage jet burner with a preheater smaller flame that boils the fuel and pressurizes the upper secondary brass pot.
Results are good with a boil time of 16oz water in just over 4 minutes with 3/4 oz Heet(and a 1/4oz in my preheater that has a lot left)..Overall burn time is about 6 minutes with 2 minutes of that a really hard boil.(NO MINIBULLSH*T! :o ) :lol:
This is made from a small brass kerosene lantern tank(no glass..$1.50) that has the wick area closed off(bolt,nut washers, and jbweld) and 16 tiny jets drilled around the perimeter of the potstand..works well on 4-5" pots.The preheater is a brandy sniffer warmer that will also work for a simmer mode or for its original purpose(warming brandy.. :mrgreen: )on the trail.Since I like baking, I needed something for simmer mode anyway.A teacandle could be a suitable replacement but this works on the same fuel and is adjustable by just pulling out more wick.Upper stove stand is the infamous curtain hook!
Anyway..it reminded me of Tinney in a lot of ways so therefore I figure I better name it after him..or an appropriate portion of him.. :lol:
In his honor:It takes a while to bloom,but once the boil starts on the alcohol it spews forth heavy flammable gases.The more heat below,the hotter it burns above.As you can see,it doesn't burn well on "bad fuel" (from pouring it back and forth into the bottle while adjusting the jets to get the flame more under control).I started with only 8 jets but it shot flames too far,hard to light,and spewing forth so far it kept blowing itself out.I doubled the jets.It burns low until a pot is placed on top,then it really takes off!
Anyway..Thanks,Tinney.. for inspiration! :mrgreen: :DP:

I'm looking for a decent brass replacement for the curtain hook that will rest under the edge of the upper pot.A fancy feast can isn't brass and the lip is the same diameter as the bottom of the upper burner rim but it would work...Oh well..keep on looking...
I might try the infamous "priming pan" :o :lol: ..instead of the lower burner to see if it'll keep torching without that going..more experimenting might give better results..but I do like the boil time!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: MaxiBull Tinney's Rosebud..brass pressurized stove.LTA entry

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:49 pm

or a priming wick wrapped around it and use precious fuel for priming it.

Priming stoves, a tiny tradition :mrgreen: billy boy also :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Tinney sent his mastermind over to help with the testing..

:lol:

Anyway..I made an aluminum bottle windscreen but am adjusting things up and down a bit,changing bottom burners with a shortened vienna sausage inner can and ended up with making a shorter,smaller-than-a-teacandle wicked alcohol lower burner,lowered the secondary burner ,and pretty much smoothed out the burn for a decent flame pattern with about a 5minute boil..once my helper left.. :mrgreen:Hopefully..I can find a couple Pringles covers or something that fits(hints?) to place on the ends of the windscreen to keep the parts intact for pack storage.

*Zelph..larger windscreen holes in the aluminum bottle sleeve are punched with an electrician's hole puncher for running conduit through metal studs in walls..works N-I-C-E! ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:06 pm

The big 2 handed punch......I almost bought one a couple of times.....I coulda used it last week when modifing the starlyte stoves for the zmart kit. I think it's the same size hole that I need. This might put the clincher on buying it. :D

I miss my helper with outside work....in the garage she got into too much trouble, four paws nocked over everything. :o

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:09 pm

realityguy wrote:Tinney sent his mastermind over to help with the testing..

:lol:

Anyway..I made an aluminum bottle windscreen but am adjusting things up and down a bit,changing bottom burners with a shortened vienna sausage inner can and ended up with making a shorter,smaller-than-a-teacandle wicked alcohol lower burner,lowered the secondary burner ,and pretty much smoothed out the burn for a decent flame pattern with about a 5minute boil..once my helper left.. :mrgreen:Hopefully..I can find a couple Pringles covers or something that fits(hints?) to place on the ends of the windscreen to keep the parts intact for pack storage.

*Zelph..larger windscreen holes in the aluminum bottle sleeve are punched with an electrician's hole puncher for running conduit through metal studs in walls..works N-I-C-E! ;)

yup them punch i get a complet set
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:17 pm

I think I got it at a garage sale for $5-10 years ago.I used to do a lot of metal stud commercial work so have most of the tools for that..never did ever get to use that until now.. :lol: It works sweet for the thin aluminum or steel..

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:55 pm

realityguy wrote:I think I got it at a garage sale for $5-10 years ago.I used to do a lot of metal stud commercial work so have most of the tools for that..never did ever get to use that until now.. :lol: It works sweet for the thin aluminum or steel..

Yes, they are really nice, I did a lot of remodel work and used one often. Wish I was lucky enough to find a used one. They're a little pricey for an occasional use. Thanks for taking the photo

It's amazing how well they punch!!!!

And to think, oops has a set of them........he's got everythijng :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:03 pm

Somewhere I have the stud crimper also..It is used for attaching studs to the top and bottom tracks..cuts a hole in the two pieces only about a 1/4" long hole about 1/8" wide..the portion that is punched out is turned back onto the track at the ends to lock the stud to the track..Good for crimping metal pieces together that you later want to make more permanent with a screw in the hole it makes..

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:23 pm

The right tools make the job easier.......I like easyyyyyy :D

Metal studs are the way to go......

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:04 am

Metal studs do have a lot of advantages as far as commercial construction..however..when you have to add electrical,low voltage wiring,and plumbing in the loop..and all the accessories,tools,extra parts,metal boxes/conduit,plastic grommets,special tie-offs for wires at each box working with metal studs..and a lot more bracing for weakened studs for plumbing work..Nope,doesn't work well for residential work.
I liked metal stud work..I was usually the one on the job that always had to do all the weird stuff..such as drywall support around beams,framing and drywall around round ducts above ceiling grids and other work that had to be thought out instead of just slapping studs in long walls.More of a challenge.. :mrgreen:

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”