Nov Stove--Moonlite

Ridgerunner

Nov Stove--Moonlite

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:29 pm

This is a stove incorporating many existing ideas. It is a hybrid of Zelphs Starlyte stove with fantastic simmering capabilities. The key was finding the right tins to use. Zelph, you might recognize this tin from one of your previous post ;) I just happened to run across them while picking up some hunting gear. The simmering lid idea came directly from the small trangia stove--hey, it works! This pic shows the burner with the simmer lid and a containing lid if so desired.

This pic will give you an idea of the size of the burner

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28 ... ite005.jpg

This pic shows the burner with the lid on and the simmerer wide open.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28 ... ite006.jpg

The next pic shows the burner in simmer mode. Notice the "moon" shaped opening---thus the name--"Moonlite"

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28 ... ite007.jpg

I am not a gram wienie or have precise scales to measure weight. I have yet to do any detailed bench test and am not even sure if these pics will load as i am new to loading pictures and Dial-up sucks. :x

Zelph, the pics seem to have loaded :D "Dancing Banana" Thanks for all your help! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Re: Nov Stove--Moonlite

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:37 am

Very nice but tell us about the homemade Clikstand too!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 am

Very nice but tell us about the homemade Clikstand too!

Ahh, you like the clikstand? Me too! but I was not willing to shell out $30 for one so I copied an image from the clikstand website to get an idea of the shape.Then I got the drafting tools out from college days and layed it out on a old "no tresspassing" sign I had laying around. I measured the diameter of a trangia stove and went from there. It is not 100% complete as the "fit" is not perfect yet. I will have to make a new center section(burner support" in order to make the tolerances tighter. Then I need a few noles along the bottom and some notches on the windscreen wings. All and all, a fun little project that I need to get back to! ;) It's deer season and I find myself spending free time in a tree rather than tinkering with stoves. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:45 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
it out on a old "no tresspassing" sign I had laying around. . All and all, a fun little project that I need to get back to! ;) It's deer season and I find myself spending free time in a tree rather than tinkering with stoves. :lol:

I would bet you might be hunting on the property where that no tresspassing sign came from :lol:

But but but!!!! Gagagame warden, I did'nt see no sign back there where I came into the woods!!!! :lol:

Nice job on the stove!!!! It's amazing how we can piece together ideas from outsources and items we have come accross in our travels. Take parts from our existing gear and turn it into something new. Long live the DIY'ers.

I woulda spelled it "Moonlyte"

On the subject clickstand. What is the distance between burner and bottom of pot?

glad to see you are now a picture poster :) I heard dial up will soon be as fast as cable. ;)

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:31 pm

I woulda spelled it "Moonlyte"

Originally, typed it out Moonlyte but thought to celebrate my first stove being posted anywhere that since I posted it here that I would spell it moon"lite" as in Bplite ! :D

On the subject clickstand. What is the distance between burner and bottom of pot?

The distance from the top of my trangia to the bottom of the pot is one inch.

I heard dial up will soon be as fast as cable.

What have you heard about dial up speeding up? It seems to me that if anything, it is getting slower. I am lucky to connect at 26,000 bps on a 56k modem. I use to be able to connect at 38k on my older computer. And as far as the No Trespassing sign goes, it was one I had left over after posting my property, which was a waste of time. Every gun deer season, I would have someone trouncing through my woods, by my stand , and have to get in an argument to get them to leave which is why I just hunt somewhere else that is more remote and the surrounding property owners don't allow but only a couple hunters.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:[
What have you heard about dial up speeding up? It seems to me that if anything, it is getting slower. I am lucky to connect at 26,000 bps on a 56k modem. I use to be able to connect at 38k on my older computer. And as far as the No Trespassing sign goes, it was one I had left over after posting my property, which was a waste of time. Every gun deer season, I would have someone trouncing through my woods, by my stand , and have to get in an argument to get them to leave which is why I just hunt somewhere else that is more remote and the surrounding property owners don't allow but only a couple hunters.

Just kidding about the dial-up :P Get satelyte :P

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:04 pm

I've heard that dial up will by pass cable, if they can get the regular phone lines replaced with the FIOS wires. FIOS is supose to be ten times faster than Cable the problem is that if FIOS wiring connects to the old phone lines you get the speed of the old line. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:13 pm

Ran my first test on the Moonlite tonight. Interesting results. Had a KMart Grease pot one inch above flame with a wind screen. Using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol, I saw the first sign of bubbles forming at the 4:40 mark but did not come to a boil until the 8:30 mark. At that point, I closed the simmer ring down 3/4 of the way and got a simmer until burnout at the 13:45 mark.

The boil time is a little disappointing but I wonder if the fact that the burner has a ss screen over the fiberglass is restricting the amount of flame? I was very impressed with the simmering and will do another test to see how long the burner will simmer on 1/2 ounce of fuel. Then, I will remove the replacement globe screen cover to see what difference that will make in the boil time. Will keep you posted as results come in. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:26 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Ran my first test on the Moonlite tonight. Interesting results. Had a KMart Grease pot one inch above flame with a wind screen. Using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol, I saw the first sign of bubbles forming at the 4:40 mark but did not come to a boil until the 8:30 mark. At that point, I closed the simmer ring down 3/4 of the way and got a simmer until burnout at the 13:45 mark.

The boil time is a little disappointing but I wonder if the fact that the burner has a ss screen over the fiberglass is restricting the amount of flame? I was very impressed with the simmering and will do another test to see how long the burner will simmer on 1/2 ounce of fuel. Then, I will remove the replacement globe screen cover to see what difference that will make in the boil time. Will keep you posted as results come in. ;)

Should work better without the ss mesh screen.bubbles at 4.40 is good.

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”