afterburner for december 2009

irrationalsolutions

afterburner for december 2009

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:05 pm

most of yall have seen this stove before but im ready to enter one of the models. its the baseline afterburner stove. im still working on the deluxe model though.

the afterburner is made of a alum mtn dew bottle. with a center air hole. this model has 13 jets drilled with a 1/16in bit inside the inner air hole.

this test was a little slower then the others by a few secs but im going to post them anyway.

i used a 5in dia alum pot with a alum foil lid. 3/4oz of fuel and 1/2 teaspoon for priming. the outside temp was 54F and the starting water temp was 71F. the two cups of water came to a boil in 3min 43sec and the stove burned out in 4min 1sec.

ImageImage
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Re: afterburner for december 2009

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:58 pm

and the stove burned out in 4min 1sec.

It was jettin!!!!!.....swooooosh.....thats fast for the amount of fuel. I want to see flames

Show how you prime it also.

Thanks for entering it. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:15 pm

i didnt take a vid of it this time but i have some vids on youtube that show one burning ill try to link them in a little bit. i primed it this time but setting the pot/stove stand on the alum ashtray you use and pouring the fuel down through the center of the stove making sure to get a little on the stove itself and lighting it.

im not trying to toot my own horn or anything but since i made the first one of these it has been the fastest alcohol stove i have used for boiling water. the reason im still working on the design is to get away from using a primer at all if i can.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:07 pm

here is a vid a posted a while back that shows the flame pattern well. it was a slightly different stove. the only difference is that it had less jets. take into account that i accidently over primed the stove in the video that why the flame pattern isnt that well at the start.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Good work, sounds like the new method of priming is going to work alot better. Thanks for linking to your previous video, good to be able to look back on your first accomplishments. What kind of pot suport will be on the new model?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 pm

I think what you need is one of those mini wedding tins stuffed with fiberglass for a primer..Hey..COME TO THINK OF IT :o ...I SENT YOU ONE! :lol: ..try that under your burner..it should fit in there well, burn nice,and level off your burner ..at a dull roar... ;) That's what I use under "tinny's rosebud"... :twisted: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:53 am

the pot support is the same. it hardware cloth and it holds the stove up one square and keeps the pot one square above the stove. i plan on the new stove having the same pot stand.

RG
i cant use a stove under the stove. first i see that as being a waste of fuel on this stove. it burns really well the way it is. and second as you can see from the beginning of that video that the extra heat on that stove causes a radical burn. i have tried a lot of different setups with that stove and the only way i can keep it close to efficient is to keep it as close to the vaporization temp as possible.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:19 am

I'm not talking a real 'stove' but more of a small controlled burner.I can use one of the small brandy sniffer burners that uses a small wick(got some more wick today..try one of the tea-light candles instead,but they don't burn as even as the small burners.It should light itself when it vaporizes and gets warm enough..and stay at that point without getting totally volatile and burning itself out too soon.The small wicked burner probably takes less than your 1/2 teaspoon of primer fuel.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:17 pm

A tealite burner in the center my be sufficient to prime it....5ml of fuel. Have you tried that localized internal priming?

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:45 pm

i have fooled around with a couple different ways of lighting it without having to prime it but so far no luck. everything i have do to try to get rid of the priming pan hasnt worked either yet but im still working on it.

this project is my baby and ill keep playing around with it until i get it where i want it. the next step i may try is switching to the bud bottles and see if there is any difference there.

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”