Energizer Pocket stove..mini stove of the month!

realityguy

Energizer Pocket stove..mini stove of the month!

Postby realityguy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Okay..so you need entries..Here's one.."mini" stove of the month..made of chrome over brass.I think I know what the container was originally used for..do YOU? :lol: Anyway..the original container came in a pair that was mounted on a same plated belt loop clip..unfortunately the other was destroyed trying to pull it off the clip ..it didn't get the threaded cap for the other one(what do you want from a thrift store for a buck?!)
Stuffed with fiberglass insulation two layers of copper mesh on top.Capacity to the brim is 7/16 of an ounce or less..It won't take a half!Dimensions are 2" in diameter and 15/16" high with the milled cap in place..The bottom plate is reshaped to fit a keychain or tiny clip of some type..or put it in your pocket to keep your hands/cajones warm after it cools down a little!
Initial burn test with 16 oz of water(no windscreen as shown)..probably 50+ degrees to start..burned for a crazy 25minutes until I blew out the dying flame..with the temperature reaching just under 180 degrees..I think I can probably get a boil with a windscreen when I do more testing.I was surprised at how long it would burn..just kept going and going and going(Hence..the Energizer)!
It is heavy at just under 2oz(all brass except the filler..what do you expect!).Yes I can leave fuel in there and close the lid,shouldn't leak.It really has a nice chrome finish(hard to photograph) but has some scratches because of its age.The original item it came from was manufactured in Japan..probably in the 60s or 70s I would imagine..

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Energizer Pocket stove..mini stove of the month!

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 am

I think I know what the container was originally used for..do YOU?

Same as what used in this one :DB:

Great Minds Think Alike
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 am

The brain is not working. I don't recall what the tins were used for but they sure work good for small stoves. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:29 am

Dan..I thought it was similar but didn't think it was made from the same thing! :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

It holds 1 ounce of fuel securely, no spill. Can be blown out and remaining fuel used for next heating. If we present the fuel correctly, we should get 4 cups boiled with the 1 ounce of fuel. No boil tests have been conducted. Still working on a potstand.

No way can I do that with this little bugger!.If yours fits a stocking,mine fits a cat's mitten.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:24 am

Okay..with a windscreen..16oz of 55 degree water(room about the same) and 13ml(maximum)of fuel..burned 21-1/2 minutes and got to 192 degrees. :cry: If I hadn't fiddled with it(kept checking.. :lol: )..maybe 195-200+..

Okay..I'm going to redo the innards and add a bit more,bring the flame to the top rather than down 1/8",maybe get a higher flame out of it.

Okay..Dan put up his before mine..mine's a clone(too close to his...but a dwarf one!)..not in the running for the month... :evil: it might be stainless..and part brass for sure...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Mine are stainless and larger :D Mine looks better because they are new. Yours is vintage and worth more. Slower because they are smaller diameter opening and too much mesh over the opening.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

It's a real fine "craft" copper mesh(probably also not available anymore).I'll try some stainless sieve mesh flush to the top.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:46 am

realityguy wrote:It's a real fine "craft" copper mesh(probably also not available anymore).I'll try some stainless sieve mesh flush to the top.

Good, open weave and flush with surface, keep mesh incontact with fuel absorbing material. :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Well the stainless mesh kind of bows up a little(rounded) and a little more cloth added..got a boil at about 20 minutes and still burns about 24+...The rolling boil was kind of isolated to the center 1" or 2"...But I had to invest another 50% into the stove..I'm clear up to a buck and a half now! :cry: :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:27 am

But I had to invest another 50% into the stove..I'm clear up to a buck and a half now!

Economical hardships are understood here, we know a bargin when we see one :D

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”