Jan. Entry #2 for Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner

Re: Jan. Entry #2 for Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey Ridgerunner,
I've acquired a cookie tin to build your setup. Do you have any build-up pics? If you were to do over, would you make any changes?

Hello CajunHiker, It's as easy to build as the pictures indicate. I drilled 3 rings of holes in the bottom about an 1/8 inch. Cut the "V" on one side and overextended the cuts in the corners by an 1/8 inch or so, so that you can roll the sharp edge inward. There are 5 --3/8" holes on the opposite side of the "V" that are centered at the bottom of the back side about a 1/2 inch up from the bottom edge. They are for venting and drafting. Then you drill 3 sets of holes for the feet( which are made from coat hangers). You want the sets equally spaced so the stove sits properly. Then I drill four holes in the sides towards the top for the two Heine pot supports. Then I drilled 4 more holes at a height from the bottom that the supports would allow the Heine pot to rest about and inch from the top of my Alky stove.

As far as changes, I rushed the reflector job with tin foil to get it listed. I would use a heavier foil, such as a disposable foil rack. The other idea I had was to take a two litre pop bottle and cut a portion to cover the opening of the stove to act as a globe when using as a candle lantern. I think it might sit far enough away from the candle to not deform. Also, I thought of installing a removable bail of sorts to hang the stove when using as a lantern.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Do you think the full V-cut takes away too much of the structural strength? Would a different shaped opening be of any benefit?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Do you think the full V-cut takes away too much of the structural strength? Would a different shaped opening be of any benefit?

I would guess that you could put a cinder block on top of the stove with no structural damage :lol: (will have to do a test on that one) The "V" shaped opening helps retain tinder in the lower potion of the stove so the fire is less likely to fall out. With the opening being larger at the top, it is easier to feed the tinder down into the stove and fire. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:43 pm

Ridgerunner!!!!! This stove is outstanding and I'm going to nominate it to be entered into February entries ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Heine Companion Plus Stove

Designed from a cookie tin, it serves as your kitchen storage container, woodburning stove, and windscreen for an Alky stove. :lol: I was very impressed how quickly it cooked in woodburning mode. It will also store the Ring of Fire Stove. Here are some pics of it (hopefully in thumbnail mode-- :lol: )

ImageImageImageImage
[url=http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/Ridgerunner56/DSCF0790.jpg][img]
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28 ... CF0790.jpg[/img][/url]Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Took some time to do a short video of this little stove in action. Of course, I ran out of memory but you can at least see it in live action. :mrgreen:

p.s. might have accidently hit the macro button :oops:

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”