Ridgerunner's April Entry

Ridgerunner

Re: Ridgerunner's April Entry

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:10 pm

This is one of your best creations!!!! Maybe, the best

The boil time is amazing. Tallbloke will be impressed to the max, I'm sure.

Thanks again Zelph. :oops: I will do some more test burns with more specific data. Tallbloke should like the initial data. The kettle is perfect for the individual but lacking for more than one. I have not tried cooking with it filled all the way up but there should be enough for a meal and a cup of tea, etc, I suppose. It may require more than 1/2 ounce if filled to the top. ;)

Why do you think I would be pushing my luck to use it with the wood burning mode on the Heineken Companion Plus. ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:08 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Why do you think I would be pushing my luck to use it with the wood burning mode on the Heineken Companion Plus. ?

In my experience the temps from a wood fire(or even a hot burning alcohol stove) will burn up JBWeld like a vaseline soaked cotton ball and stink to high heaven.

YMMV.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:33 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
This is one of your best creations!!!! Maybe, the best

The boil time is amazing. Tallbloke will be impressed to the max, I'm sure.

Thanks again Zelph. :oops: I will do some more test burns with more specific data. Tallbloke should like the initial data. The kettle is perfect for the individual but lacking for more than one. I have not tried cooking with it filled all the way up but there should be enough for a meal and a cup of tea, etc, I suppose. It may require more than 1/2 ounce if filled to the top. ;)

Why do you think I would be pushing my luck to use it with the wood burning mode on the Heineken Companion Plus. ?

It's a hunch :) Try it and report back. Take a photo before and after. :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Did a few undocumented test with the GI R2 Kettle using 32 degree ice water. The stove that performed the best was the penny soda can stove. It was able to obtain a rolling boil under 5 minutes where the other 2 stoves did not make the mark. The Srgt. York stove has some wicking issues that need revamped.
Zelph, notice my attempt at a thin stove in the back left. It is a ladies compact that also is the potstand. It only burned about 3 minutes and was a failure :x but I wanted to show you a failed idea. We always see the sucesses but never the failures that show potential. :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 am

Zelph, notice my attempt at a thin stove in the back left. It is a ladies compact that also is the potstand. It only burned about 3 minutes and was a failure but I wanted to show you a failed idea. We always see the sucesses but never the failures that show potential.

That's good to hear :mrgreen: I was beggining to feel pregnant. I don't remember anyone addmiting they had failures :o

I think I'll start a seperate thread for failures!!!!!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 am

zelph wrote:I think I'll start a seperate thread for failures!!!!!

i'll be a regular in that thread!! :D

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Did some test using the Heine Companion Plus Stove in the wood burning mode to test rumors that the JB-Weld would not hold up. Worse case scenario, I get a friend of mine to aluminum weld it into place or re-jb-weld it. It was rainy and windy out this morning. Good testing conditions once the rain let up. I added a small cone to concentrate the heat on the bottom of the chimney and made it so the chimney and JB'Weld sat inside the ring. Here are some pics of the test burn.

Image Zelph, notice my long match, no burnt fingers or singed knuckle hairs:lol: Image
Got the fire going and put the kettle on top to cook :D
ImageImage
Achieved a rolling boil about 7 minutes on the fire(wind did not help) and let it boil until the 12 minute mark, then removed from flame.
ImageNotice no leakage of water, just sooted up the kettle.
Image Looks like the jb-weld held up fine on this burn. Did not melt, did not crack, just aquired a nice glaze of soot. :) Initial test are favorable. We'll see how it holds up over time. :?:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Our rumors were words of caution :D

You 've done well to protect your weld from direct flame. The funnel/sheild was your ticket to success. Well done!!!!

Nice testing weather. We appreciate your follow up. Now that we know it will work with the companion plus stove I'll bring my vote back over to you and see what Allen says about that. :lol:

I'm going to get me one of those matches :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 03, 2008 12:41 pm

You 've done well to protect your weld from direct flame. The funnel/sheild was your ticket to success. Well done!!!!

Initially my thinking was to protect the jb-weld. I used a cone to help draw the fire thru the chimney and cut down on the soot to the kettle. Then I thought, lets test the integrety of the weld and instead of cutting the top of the cone to fit just inside the chimney, I cut it to fit just outside the chimney, thus exposing the weld to the flame. The flame was working outside the HCP Stove as much as inside thus one side of the kettle got sooted fairly good. What is best to remove soot :?:

Yep Zelph, that match keeps the knuckle hairs from getting singed :lol: I don't have the luxury of the warning sign of sizzling smelly hair being burnt. Mine goes straight to the skin for a nice blister. :lol:

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”