Coffee Maker

DarenN

Coffee Maker

Post by DarenN » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi All;
ever since i had to retire my #7 plastic coffee cup/press, i've been trying to come up with a viable alternative that:
#1 makes a great cup of coffee,
#2 is compact,
#3 is reasonably light.

i came up with an idea to use a beercan and a piece of very fine screen to make a drip basket. it works just great!!

upside down:

put coffee in it, and put it in a cup. pour hot water through it, and lift it out by the wire bail.

all of this:::::::::

fits together to look like this::::::::

at 11 ounces, the entire kit is still a bit heavy, but all i could find for a cup that just fit over the Hienypot was the stainless steel one shown. i could trim a couple grams by eliminating the wire rim on the basket as well.

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Re: Coffee Maker

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Nice idea Daren. How easy is the basket to clean after usage ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice idea Daren. How easy is the basket to clean after usage ?

super extremely easy.
running water flushes it clean in no time. or, swish it back and forth a time or two in still water.

russb

Post by russb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Would the IMUSA aluminum mug work as a replacement for the stainless?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:22 pm

super extremely easy.
running water flushes it clean in no time. or, swish it back and forth a time or two in still water.

Yes, that's fine for you "Yakers" but what about when in the bush with minimal water supply? I'm still using the coffee "bags" or fill your own tea bags. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:09 am

russb wrote:Would the IMUSA aluminum mug work as a replacement for the stainless?

i'm not sure. never seen one.

the s/s mug is a slight interference fit on the Hienypot.

Ridgerunner wrote:
super extremely easy.

Yes, that's fine for you "Yakers" but what about when in the bush with minimal water supply? I'm still using the coffee "bags" or fill your own tea bags. ;)

hhmmm. you're right of course. i never thought of situations where water was a concern. when i hike, it's for fishing, so water is not a problem.

Daren......

russb

Post by russb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:15 am

DarenN wrote:
russb wrote:Would the IMUSA aluminum mug work as a replacement for the stainless?

i'm not sure. never seen one.

the s/s mug is a slight interference fit on the Hienypot.

Daren......

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=498

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:06 pm

I haven't found the proper screen yet...
But the idea I have been thinking about is basically a screen disk with a rubber ring around it and a thin plunger handle.
It would be sized to fit snuggly in my pot to push the coffee grounds to the bottom.

So yeah, that would pretty much be a french press.

I know I could buy and carry an entire press but just adding the plunger to my pot would be a lot less weight.

Daren, what kind of screen did you use? Also, I've considered buying the MSR coffee/tea filter. At 1 oz it would be very little extra weight.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Me thinks your putting too much effort into this. Since you will have your coffee or tea loose in a bag, why not just get a steeper. ;)

http://www.thehomemarketplace.com/homemarketplace/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Tabletop+%26+Entertaining&SCID=Drinkware&ProductID=0000150519

or

http://www.coffeegizmo.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Me thinks your putting too much effort into this. Since you will have your coffee or tea loose in a bag, why not just get a steeper. ;)

what? have you lost your mind!?!? :D buy something that i can make? not gonna happen! :lol:
besides, i tried the tea infuser trick and it didn't work very well. the ones i have are made of s/s screen; two hemispheres that hinge and latch into a sphere. the biggest one i could find isn't big enough and it just doesn't seem to allow the water proper access to the grounds. made a very watery brew.
don't forget how my strainer packs into the Hieny, with the stove and fuel inside it, using formerly wasted space. and the mug nests over the pot and protects more than half of it from damage. i've got one very beat up hieny-pot that only went on one trip.

Dlarson:
the screen i'm using is an extremely fine weave (sometimes called "veil") stainless steel left over from a project at work. i just collected the scraps, 'knowing' that i would one day find a use for them.

RussB:
the Imusa website shows two mugs that are straight sided. the smaller one is 10cm which is 1.5cm too big. i'll be keeping an eye out for an aluminum mug that will fit. i cruise the neigborhood thrift shops at least weekly. ;)

Daren......