Make your own laundry detergent

Ridgerunner

Make your own laundry detergent

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Stumpjumper just sent me this interesting link on making your own laundry detergent. He said you can go from about 20 cents per load to 3 cents per load.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/ ... ual-guide/
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Make your own laundry detergent

Post by zelph » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:48 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Stumpjumper just sent me this interesting link on making your own laundry detergent. He said you can go from about 20 cents per load to 3 cents per load.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/ ... ual-guide/
I like 3 cents a load :D I'll have to show the formula to my wife and see what she thinks of it. Thanks to stumpjumper and ridgerunner for the good tip. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:24 am

While I did learn something very interesting from this link and will have to try this out. Can I burst this guys bubble and tell him that for 50 cents I can pull enough coupons out of the sunday paper to get my laundry detergent for free, LOL! I think at the moment I'm sitting on about 2 years of the stuff mostly Purex and it didn't cost me a cent. Other than the 50 cents for the sunday Paper and some time to pull as many coupon booklets as I could out of the other papers around it. Don't jump my case about stealing someone elses coupons I buy my paper late in the afternoon and after many years of delivering them I know they only go back to the Newspaper to end up being recycled. Just thought you might be interested in that too as this guys site was mainly about saving money! LOL! :mrgreen:

Every week I am literally amazed how many people drop benjamins at the grocery store and most don't even swipe the stores savings card little lone a coupon. I don't think I could afford not to cut coupons. How do these people do it with out them? I'ld be living in a tent on the side of the road if I did this. I wouldn't be able to afford my car little lone the gas to go in it. It just amazes me! I've thought that maybe I should go up to one of them swipe my savings card for them and then give them coupons for everything I can find one for in their purchase and ask them if they'll give me the money I saved them. It'll never happen but it would be nice, LOL!
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Good points Mehem about swiping the stores discount card. I'ts so easy to sign up for one and why not get the savings. The coupon searching is another good tip. I've got to get into the habit of doing that to save some bucks. Thanks for eye openers ;)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Can I burst this guys bubble and tell him that for 50 cents I can pull enough coupons out of the sunday paper to get my laundry detergent for free, LOL! I think at the moment I'm sitting on about 2 years of the stuff mostly Purex and it didn't cost me a cent.
I've got my share of the freebies but not on laundry detergent. Must have missed some BIG coupons as you can only use one manufacturers coupon per item and kroger will only double it up to a savings of one dollor TOTAL. I've used Purex quite a bit as it is one of the least expensive ones out there but even knocking a dollar off does not make it free. :roll: What size do you buy, PM ? We use to have Super doubles, where you could double coupons up to a savings of $2.00 but they figured out that customers were only buying the coupon items that week for the most part and the following week, sales would tend to be real soft so they cut that program out. I believe other divisions still do it. I know Columbus, Ohio still have super doubles.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:47 am

We don't have a kroegers here or at least I've never been to it if there is one.
I wait for the really good sales at Price Chopper but they've changed there policies too since I got all my free laundry detergeant. You use to be able to go to a cashier who wasn't paying attention and slip in a bunch of extra coupons They use to do Triple coupons with the store flyer coupon and at the time the purex was only 2.99 for the 64 oz. bottle I had a lot of one dollar coupons and made a lot of trips in and out of the store to use them. I will say with in the last 4 months or so Price chopper updated there policies and Registers and apparently took a little time to put some quality training into there new cashiers as it's a little more difficult to pass an extra coupon or two but they still miss the expiration dates, LOL!

Another couple of good stores we've had come into the area are Aldis They help you save quite a bit of money on stuff you just can't get coupons for. But you have to put a quarter in to get your cart and pay for your bags or bring your own. Great way to eliminate overhead. I wish more stores would do it. We have a Price Rite which is the same concept but it's about an hour away but the prices are much better I wish they'd open one of these in my area. Great deals on vegetables and fruits canned and fresh and you can't beat the prices they give you on spices they are way cheap and milk is a dollar less a gallon.

Another money saver coming up it's time to pick tomatoes starting this sunday only 15 dollars a busshel. It's canning time!!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:32 am

But you have to put a quarter in to get your cart and pay for your bags or bring your own. Great way to eliminate overhead.
At Kroger, you get a nickle back for each of your own bags that are used. We even sell canvas bags for repeat use. Save on overhead but more importantly save on the landfills. I wish more people took advantage of that opportunity. Technology has got to the point that the registers will reject a second coupon for the same item but you are right in the fact that expiration dated go unnoticed, especially with newer employees. Have not done any canning in years. Always enjoyed some home canned tomatos when making vegetable soup. We use to also can homemade salsa.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:12 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
But you have to put a quarter in to get your cart and pay for your bags or bring your own. Great way to eliminate overhead.
At Kroger, you get a nickle back for each of your own bags that are used. We even sell canvas bags for repeat use. Save on overhead but more importantly save on the landfills. I wish more people took advantage of that opportunity. Technology has got to the point that the registers will reject a second coupon for the same item but you are right in the fact that expiration dated go unnoticed, especially with newer employees. Have not done any canning in years. Always enjoyed some home canned tomatos when making vegetable soup. We use to also can homemade salsa.
Yep we use to can also most of them if you buy the store brand its cheaper then canning when most of the time 3 for 1.00 .If a can lets say 1.19 for 12 oz. next size up 1.40 somtime bigger is better then 2 cans small
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:54 pm

But you have to put a quarter in to get your cart and pay for your bags or bring your own. Great way to eliminate overhead. I wish more stores would do it.
Every store in America should have that system installed. They should have cart corals in the parking lots with the same system. I shop at Aldis most of the time, good food, low prices, use paper bags(doubled) and soon as the bags are emptied at home the bags go back into the trunk of the car for the next session of shopping :) Once the bags get dog-eared they are used as kindling to start the wood burner in the winter time. GO GREEN :)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm

my local grocery store has the canvas bags too. for a while last winter, if you bought 50 bucks worth of groceries, you got a canvas bag for free. i have six of them. like Zelph, the bags live in the car.

the store used to have the 'quarter for a shopping cart' thing, but they stopped doing it. too much pressure from folks that found it inconvenient.

:mrgreen: GO GREEN!!! :mrgreen:

Daren......

(ps: they have arm and hammer washing soda!! :D )
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast