Make your own laundry detergent

zelph

Re: Make your own laundry detergent

Post by zelph » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Just wanted to follow up with a pic and report of the homemade detergent. It turned out good but did contain some "blobs" after curing overnight even though i blended it well with a newly aquired $8 garage sale DeWalt drill. Ran a couple loades and it did just fine but I did not have any heavily soiled clothing this time around.

Does it perform as well as 1 cup of commercial product that you normally use? What was your cost for the DIY?

Will you continue to make your own? What are the pros and cons?

Nice score on the corded drill.

I've switched back to using corded drills instead of cordless. Replacement battery paks are too expensive to justify the continued use of cordless. Call me old fashioned and practical :D

If I need a remote driver I use a Yankee push driver or a Brace and Bit for larger needs ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:09 pm

zelph wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Just wanted to follow up with a pic and report of the homemade detergent. It turned out good but did contain some "blobs" after curing overnight even though i blended it well with a newly aquired $8 garage sale DeWalt drill. Ran a couple loades and it did just fine but I did not have any heavily soiled clothing this time around.

Does it perform as well as 1 cup of commercial product that you normally use? What was your cost for the DIY?

Will you continue to make your own? What are the pros and cons?

Nice score on the corded drill.

I've switched back to using corded drills instead of cordless. Replacement battery paks are too expensive to justify the continued use of cordless. Call me old fashioned and practical :D

If I need a remote driver I use a Yankee push driver or a Brace and Bit for larger needs ;)

Stumpjumper has already made several batches and is sharing with relatives. ;) I would imagine that just like any other tuff soiled area, you might have to pre treat with some spray and wash or similar product but otherwise, it works fine.

Here was the breakdown on cost analysis per the original developer and I will concur it to be close to my cost. My bar soap was cheaper as I bought a bunch of discontinued 24 pk. ivory soap for $3 per pack. That was 4 years ago and still have one more 24 pack left. :lol:
"
The box of Borax, which contains enough Borax for at least twelve batches of detergent, cost $2.89. The box of washing soda, which contains enough soda for six batches of detergent, cost $1.89. The soap, which came in packs of three (as pictured above), cost $0.89 per pack - I bought two, to ensure I had enough for six batches. The Iowa sales tax on this stuff was $0.39, giving me a total bill of $6.95 for the ingredients - enough for six batches. I also used perhaps a penny’s worth of water and a penny’s worth of heat to heat it - a total cost of $6.97.

Each batch of detergent contains 52 cups of the solution - 48 from the three gallons in the bucket, and four more cups of water with the dissolved soap. Since I use one cup per load, this means a single batch makes 52 loads’ worth of detergent.

Let’s say, hypothetically, that I make six batches of the stuff and use the other half of the box of Borax for something else. That means I’ve made enough detergent for 312 loads of laundry for a total cost of $6.97. That’s roughly two and a quarter cents per load of laundry.
"

I too am happy to have scored the Dewalt drill as my B&D Firestorms 2 batteries both went commitose. I do like a cordless drill and just took the plunge at AutoZone on a 18v variable speed drill and light combination for $19.99 and picked up an extra battery for $9.99. Since I don't use it for my occupation, I figured it will suffice for around the house and yard duties. $30 is what it cost to replace one of the 12v Firestorm batteries so I figured I came out ahead.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for your opinions on the soap ridgerunner.

You could use the drill at work to tenderize some of those lean cuts :lol: :lol:

jennyj

Post by jennyj » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:11 am

What laundry detergent do you recommend for preemies and newborns? Was there anything special you did prior to washing the clothes or in washing the clothes? Do you use fabric softer or dryer sheets, if so, what kind?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:41 am

REALLY??? I haven't had an infant for almost 25 yrs so you mich check with your pediatrician on the subject. Dryer sheets?....nah, I'm trying to save pennies here that is why I eat SPAM!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:59 am

jennyj wrote:What laundry detergent do you recommend for preemies and newborns? Was there anything special you did prior to washing the clothes or in washing the clothes? Do you use fabric softer or dryer sheets, if so, what kind?
Hi Jenny, my wife recalls the soap that is recommended is "dreft". I'll google that to make sure :D

Google says:

http://www.dreft.com/

:D