RTV silicone lip protector

grumdrig

RTV silicone lip protector

Post by grumdrig » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Dunno if its been done already, I had the idea of glopping a mouth-sized bit of RTV silicone adhesive on the edge of a Heine pot so that it could be used as a mug, rather than lugging one of those silicone Livestrong-like bracelets up the mountainside for that purpose. :) Should save a little weight. Anybody know - is RTV healthy to use for this purpose?

Skidsteer

Re: RTV silicone lip protector

Post by Skidsteer » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:12 pm

grumdrig wrote:Dunno if its been done already, I had the idea of glopping a mouth-sized bit of RTV silicone adhesive on the edge of a Heine pot so that it could be used as a mug, rather than lugging one of those silicone Livestrong-like bracelets up the mountainside for that purpose. :) Should save a little weight. Anybody know - is RTV healthy to use for this purpose?

Dunno about the health concerns with RTV but I can tell you where Tinny got the idea for the lip protector:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=85
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Yeah, not sure on the health risks of RTV.

My suggestion would be to get some silicone tubing (fuel line) from the R/C hobby store, slice it length-wise and fit it to the rim.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:54 pm

dlarson wrote:My suggestion would be to get some silicone tubing (fuel line) from the R/C hobby store, slice it length-wise and fit it to the rim.

Interesting idea. I like it.

Skids, that's also sort of what caused the idea about the RTV too - I saw that a while back and it must have been lurking back in my brain.

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Can I ask what's the difference if you glop that stuff on your can or use a Silicone bracelet? You don't have to wear the thing on your wrist, just fit it to the can and forget it. You also don't have to use the yellow livestrong bracelet if Lance Armstrong or yellow isn't your thing. There are thousands of different ones out there. You can probably get a free one from the National Guard if you go and ask. I got a Camo "Support The Troops" off of ebay. But there are zillions of causes and people that use those wristbands. Just a thought here but why not spend $1 to support a charity of your choice and use there wristband for your stove? Seems to me donating the dollar for a worthy cause is a hell of a lot better than giving the corporate conglomorate "Marts" $3 so they can make a 60% profit off of the other stuff. Not that you can't use it if you got it, but I'm just saying. We'll probabaly all die any way from some wierd chemical the chinese market put in both silicones!!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:47 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:Can I ask what's the difference if you glop that stuff on your can or use a Silicone bracelet? You don't have to wear the thing on your wrist, just fit it to the can and forget it. You also don't have to use the yellow livestrong bracelet if Lance Armstrong or yellow isn't your thing. There are thousands of different ones out there. You can probably get a free one from the National Guard if you go and ask. I got a Camo "Support The Troops" off of ebay. But there are zillions of causes and people that use those wristbands. Just a thought here but why not spend $1 to support a charity of your choice and use there wristband for your stove? Seems to me donating the dollar for a worthy cause is a hell of a lot better than giving the corporate conglomorate "Marts" $3 so they can make a 60% profit off of the other stuff. Not that you can't use it if you got it, but I'm just saying. We'll probabaly all die any way from some wierd chemical the chinese market put in both silicones!!! :mrgreen:

Have to agree with PM on this one. It's just too easy to slip on the silicone bracelet and be done with it. I saw them all summer long at yard sales. I gave a buck for a baggie full. If you don't like what it says, turn it inside out.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:20 pm

I think having something on the rim is just one more thing to wash off. If you don't wash it off, you'll have some little things that will start growing under there and cut your stay on the trail short. Montezumas Revenge or the Hershey Squirts will get ya when you least expect it.

Take some time to learn how much fuel to use to get your water to a drinkable temp. I use 1/2 ounce fuel, no more, if it comes off the stove at 180 I'm a happy joe Almost cool enough to drink.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:Can I ask what's the difference if you glop that stuff on your can or use a Silicone bracelet? You don't have to wear the thing on your wrist, just fit it to the can and forget it. ...

My goal was to save weight - my mouth is only a few inches wide. I have nothing against wrist-borne charitable causes.

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 pm

By no way did I mean to slam on you about your idea! just that the wrist band deal is such a simple way to go! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Allen

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:14 am

grumdrig wrote:Dunno if its been done already, I had the idea of glopping a mouth-sized bit of RTV silicone adhesive on the edge of a Heine pot so that it could be used as a mug, rather than lugging one of those silicone Livestrong-like bracelets up the mountainside for that purpose. :) Should save a little weight. Anybody know - is RTV healthy to use for this purpose?

Here's a link to the MSDS:

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:-NP ... cd=7&gl=us

Cheers!