Self-Contained Fire Starter

Ridgerunner

Self-Contained Fire Starter

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 pm

This is a very easy to make fire starter kit. First let me give credit where credit is due. I found this easy to make fire starter kit in "the Backwoodsman" magazine(Jan/Feb 2008) in an article by Greg Barra.

You probably have an old fluid type lighter laying around some where. Mine was a dollar at the thrift store. First thing is to remove the cotton and then trim the wind guard with a tiny pair of snips so that the spark generated from the flint can get closer to your tender. I can fit five piecess of starting tender in the lighter; three in the base and two in the lid. An extra piece or two of flint can also be stored in the base.

ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Re: Self-Contained Fire Starter

Post by DarenN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:09 pm

i remember somewhere seeing a Zippo butchered to hold a sewing bobbin filled with jute twine. might have been on utube or instructables.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 pm

DarenN wrote:i remember somewhere seeing a Zippo butchered to hold a sewing bobbin filled with jute twine. might have been on utube or instructables.

Daren......
Here is the thread that has the modified zippo lighter

It's on the second page of the thread.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:47 pm

Forgot all about that thread, Zelph. Oldtimers setting in. :oops: Thanks for the refresher link;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !