DIY Snapstand(clikstand)

Ridgerunner

DIY Snapstand(clikstand)

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Clickstands are a snap together potstand/windscreen designed specifically with the trangia in mind. There are three sides and base unit that snap together. They are very hard to find anymore. I believe that they don't make them any more but i may be wrong. They were kind of pricey for what they were. I have made one that worked but was not a perfect fit. I have drawn up another template and before I cut it out, I thought I would share it with anyone who might be interested in building one. ;) Sorry, the image is upside down :oops: :roll:

To give you an idea of what it looks like, here is a pic of one I made earlier. I had not punched out the bottom outside air vent holes yet.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Re: DIY Snapstand(clickstand)

Post by DarenN » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:35 pm

i saw one of those somewhere. maybe u-tube. can't remember. i think it's a very cool idea! :D let us know how it turns out.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:59 pm

I think the clickstand looks great for the trangia's. Isn't that where the idea came from? Swedish Military mess kits had them?

Here is a site that still makes them available.

See how it works
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:09 pm

zelph wrote:I think the clickstand looks great for the trangia's. Isn't that where the idea came from? Swedish Military mess kits had them?

Here is a site that still makes them available.

See how it works
Dag Gumit, I should have referenced that site or dug out my first prototype as my new design is similar but different than the clikstand. Oh well, I will have a go at it anyway. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Pure Mahem

Re: DIY Snapstand(clikstand)

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:16 am

JMO! They look nice but kind of pricey if you go and buy one. I think you got the right idea RR, making your own! Price was one of the reason I went with the West Wind Stove for my Trangia. Not sure but I think it's lighter as well. However, your clickstand definately has the advantage on being wind screened. Saw the price for what they wanted for one of those as well HS!!! I'll make my own! I usually don't use a wind screen with my westwind. But haven't really cooked in high winds yet I thik a small foil one would pack up nicely and be rather handy for that though. Could always use some roof flashing as well I supose. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:31 pm

Wrapped up the Snapstand project tonight. better than the last one but still not a precise fit. Cost PM...25 cent.. thriftstore double walled cookie sheet. ;) :lol: and some manual labor. The bottom of the Trangia sits 1/4" off the ground when sitting in the Snapstand.

ImageImageImage

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:41 pm

looks good. i think i saw one somewhere else too and thought about making one. i fooled around with it a little but wasnt really focused on it so i gave up before i got it where i wanted it. that seems to happen to me a lot. i start something and right before i finish it a get started on something else. most of the time i come back to it later and every now and then have a better idea to add so i guess it all works out.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:17 am

Nice work RR. That looks like it packs down pretty small, very nice! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Nice photos RR.

What is the assembly procedure?

Is the last side piece a push in only piece without the downward locking lip to hold it to the rest of the pieces? I'm trying to visualize the last piece getting being put in and have it line up with the tabs that stick out of the "burner" support plate. Is there some kind of "shoehorn" device needed to squeeze the parts for the last piece in. :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:35 pm

zelph wrote:Nice photos RR.

What is the assembly procedure?

Is the last side piece a push in only piece without the downward locking lip to hold it to the rest of the pieces? I'm trying to visualize the last piece getting being put in and have it line up with the tabs that stick out of the "burner" support plate. Is there some kind of "shoehorn" device needed to squeeze the parts for the last piece in. :)
It is fairly simple, Zelph. I just put the three sides together but do not attach the last side to the first side. Inset the burner plate and line up the notches and there is enough play that the third side can then connect with the first side.
I think I may have one last go at one of these stands, using a thinner piece of metal such as a "Beware of Dog" sign. I will try to replicate the Clickstand as close as possible. ;) Me thinks that may be a project for a later date as it is time to get back to stove building. ;)