Modifications of thrift store purchases

Image
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15832
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:35 pm

I modified two items. One was a heat difusser for kitchen stoves. and the other a non-stik omlet flippinn pan, I think that's what it was. My goal was to create a thin light weight fry pan for fish filets.(goin to catch me some fish this spring and have shore lunches :D ) I new these two items were at the thrift store and had been thinking of this project for some time.

I cut up the difusser and made a small one to fit my new stove that's made of a large aluminum cat food can. The stove will be used with the newly created fry pan.

I cut up the hinged frying pan to use the flat side as my flat frying pan. I then attached the handle from the heat difusser onto the flat fry pan. The handle folds flat onto the pan for more compact storage. I have not tested the set-up yet. You get to see it before the testing begins. Keep your eyes open for thrift store bargains this weekend ;) The photos might say it better.

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15832
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:54 pm

My first try at frying one egg failed, it ran off the edge of the pan.

I thought about what I could do to prevent it from happening again, slept on it overnight. Ahha!!! it came to me in a dream :geek:

I used one of those silicon wrist bands as a retainer ring. It worked just as slick as ever :o

I tried it twice and it worked both times.

The one egg wonder weighs in at 5.5 ounces and the new flat pan weighs in at 8 ounces. The flat pan with folded handle is as wide as the one egg wonder and has more cooking surface and weighs 2.5 ounces more.

Image
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15832
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:16 pm

This was moved from another forum No interest over there :roll: All they want over there is fire and stoves and everything that goes "boom" !!!!!!!! :lol:

I may reduce it in size to a rectangle shape just big enough to cook 2 eggs at a time and a filet of fish, caught fresh from the spring creeks in my neighbor hood.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy
Posts: 5948
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 pm

zelph wrote:This was moved from another forum No interest over there :roll: All they want over there is fire and stoves and everything that goes "boom" !!!!!!!! :lol:

I may reduce it in size to a rectangle shape just big enough to cook 2 eggs at a time and a filet of fish, caught fresh from the spring creeks in my neighbor hood.
I see..So you are going to be frying your eggs and poaching your fish! :lol:

I need to come up with some type of fryer for fish also where I plan on going this summer..should be able to catch something there.The folding handle is a good idea.I figured I'd cube the fish into short sections..or it may be some kind of small saltwater bass or surf perch with small fillets that could be cubed out small enough for a 6-8" lightweight pan I can pack on the outside..(getting hungry.. :lol: )
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15832
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 am

realityguy wrote:
zelph wrote:This was moved from another forum No interest over there :roll: All they want over there is fire and stoves and everything that goes "boom" !!!!!!!! :lol:

I may reduce it in size to a rectangle shape just big enough to cook 2 eggs at a time and a filet of fish, caught fresh from the spring creeks in my neighbor hood.
I see..So you are going to be frying your eggs and poaching your fish! :lol:

I need to come up with some type of fryer for fish also where I plan on going this summer..should be able to catch something there.The folding handle is a good idea.I figured I'd cube the fish into short sections..or it may be some kind of small saltwater bass or surf perch with small fillets that could be cubed out small enough for a 6-8" lightweight pan I can pack on the outside..(getting hungry.. :lol: )
The new non-stick aluminum foil is perfect for poaching fish wrapped in the foil and laid flat on the flat pan. The filet laying flat will get even heat across the entire piece, no tail sticking up over the side of a raised sides pan. Sides equate to extra weight :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy
Posts: 5948
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Zelph..I saw one today at the same price..called a "Perfect Pancake"..Made in China.Just wondering if you weighed the OTHER side????.I almost bought it but I'm not in any rush right now.Besides,they had another new second one also at $6.99!!!I figure I'll wait'll until that one goes down to a buck! :lol:It won't sell before then...I think I'd be more inclined to have a little bit of sides on the thing...not very high and I wouldn't have to chase runny eggs to keep them onboard(omelettes or over easy) that way.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15832
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:35 pm

I'll weigh the other side tomorrow and post it.

I have a use for the hinge that came off the original set-up. The regular fry pan half is still good for use at home or camp kitchen. The flat one will go in my pack.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy
Posts: 5948
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by realityguy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:26 am

zelph wrote:
realityguy wrote:
zelph wrote:
The new non-stick aluminum foil is perfect for poaching fish wrapped in the foil and laid flat on the flat pan. The filet laying flat will get even heat across the entire piece, no tail sticking up over the side of a raised sides pan. Sides equate to extra weight :D
I wasn't really talking about that kind of "poaching fish"... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15832
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by zelph » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 pm

I used to poach fish with 1 gallon jugs and calcium carbide---Kaboom!!!!! they would float to the surface.

I thought you got them bassakwards :mrgreen: silly me!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Modifications of thrift store purchases

Post by DarenN » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:00 pm

calcium carbide is getting hard to find. i'm led to believe that it is "controlled" up here in Canada. just like denatured alcohol.

don't mess around with C/C in the house. play with it outdoors only. the gas created by adding water will make you sick. personal experience. :oops:

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Post Reply