Water collecting device

Mister Krabs

Water collecting device

Post by Mister Krabs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:23 am

I'm assuming you meant this..not necessarily a "filter" but a "water catcher".I don't remember if I had the coffee screen in there for catching big stuff..might have if it has the velcro around it...just something to hold the stainless filter in place.The reason I was using just a plastic bag is that the bulk of everything needed is practically nothing once you fold or roll it up.
Now ^THAT^ is freaking brilliant. The water collector you show and the new one that they're working on at the hennessy site.

http://hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html#water

realityguy

Re: comfortlite not ultralite

Post by realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:33 am

Sorry..I'm not paying hard earned money for something any idiot dying of thirst can't figure out!I think if a guy was thirsty out on the trail..hanging under a hammock tarp,getting soaking wet,guzzling water with his mouth,it would finally come to him in a brainstorm to collect what he's wasting!.I'm just thinking ahead...
Hang your tarp with the edge just high enough the bag sits on the ground while you sit back(dry) and watch it fill..why not!..Just make sure the birds haven't pooped on your collector... :mrgreen: :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Water collection device

Post by DarenN » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 am

i have a pair of the HH water collector funnels. they are a very slick water system.

for coffee, i'm going to try something different on a five day kayak trip (in a week and a half). measure an apropriate amount of coffee into a paper filter, make a bag by folding the filter, run over it with the sewing machine. probably the lightest coffee system you're likely to find. tested in the kitchen with good results.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:58 am

I thought about just premeasuring the coffee into paper filters,fold them up and put them in a ziplock..use them one at a time..but then I have all the wet soggy paper to get rid of.

As far as the hennessy funnel system..I saw it but didn't really think I needed to carry a special cap with a funnel attached..just one more single purpose item item to pack.In a kayak,you do have more room.I've got 5-6 water bladders most with different caps so it wouldn't be interchangable for me.I think I can get two matched up and could probably caniblize one for a cap/funnel adapter..if I could find/create a folding funnel that would make it more practical.Maybe hennessy's funnel folds(which would be nice)..I didn't look into their system that far.
Most of my hiking this year will be out by the coast,mostly in rainforest.A collection system will be a necessary item to save a lot of headaches.However,when it rains out there it pours and it maybe a matter of just holding the thing out under the tarp edge for 5 minutes for filling it.I'll see when I get there. :D
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:06 pm

One other thing I was thinking is just inserting a grommet at that low point of the tarp.That way you could hook practically anything in there..hang it in the bottle with the t-bar and the tarp with another t-bar and the water would flow down the string or chain into the bottle..or most of it..unless it was really pouring rain where it would shoot out beyond the bottle,but you'd still collect some...You'd also have another tie-off point to use if the weather got really nasty.Dual purpose grommet...If you inserted it 4" or so from the edge,the tarp could bowl around the grommet when something is hung from it,collecting all the water on that portion of the tarp and flow into whatever is hung from the grommet.
Just thinking out loud... :mrgreen:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:13 pm

realityguy wrote:..but then I have all the wet soggy paper to get rid of.
burn them.

the HH funnels are too stiff to fold. you're right of course; kayaking does allow for carrying more stuff. but the little funnels are dual purpose. the silnylon fly gets sloppy/saggy overnight. the weight of the bottle at the tieouts automaticaly tensions the fly.

.........""Dual purpose grommet...If you inserted it 4" or so from the edge,the tarp could bowl around the grommet when something is hung from it,collecting all the water on that portion of the tarp and flow into whatever is hung from the grommet.
Just thinking out loud""...

good thought, that!!

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:25 pm

The papers are soggy,..until you dry them out..and burning takes fuel...and you've already shut down your stove for 12 hours.I've thought about it.
I thought about it more for day hikes because we usually like coffee with lunch..but the precanned stuff is too easy and I get a free stove can out of the deal.I usually don't mind carrying home that empty can because I didn't have to carry a pot...it's its own pot...I do have a couple of the melitta lightweight #2 size drip coffee makers that fit right on a cup that could be clipped on the outside of the pack by the handle,but I figured I'd want to get away from that idea because I can use the stainless filter assembly in the pot for other things..say noodles,or something else I'd want to cook or make broth type soups,rehydrate vegetables and meats in warm or boiling water,etc...That stainless filter becomes dual purpose again...

zelph

Re: Water collection device

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:20 am

Somehow I lost the most important comment to this thread while trying to create it :oops: So if RealityGuy will post it again I'll move it up to the top to make it the first one and all will be well. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 am

Zelph,they are all important thoughts on the thread..which one?????
I think an important interesting topic would be about "dual purpose" items on the trail to save weight.Since a person has to carry umpteen little items to do certain tasks it might be interesting to see some of the hiker's creations to double up on some of those tasks..say water collection and possible emergency tie-outs if something tears,or just more is needed that a small clamp clip can form several tasks quick and easy...or even clamp two pieces of material together to tighten a fly around a hammock end if the wind direction changes drastically..things like that.People have a lot of unique ideas and clever uses for all sorts of minimal weight "home brew" gear(or commercially made).
Anytime I see a dual purpose use for something it generally drops a significant amount of weight a person has to carry on the trail.
Multi-tools are a good example..however,a person has to take into account the quality,the weight,the tools on board,and then uses for that "tool" and is it adequate for the task at hand.A person may be carrying a lot of unnecessary weight verses the tasks provided.For example,I really don't think a corkscrew would get much use on the trail so if the multi-tool,.has that..get a different one or cut it off.
The water collection idea..I saw hennessy's..it's a great idea..but for me theirs has limitations because of all the different bladders I have it wouldn't work with a cap that fits one brand..so I have to come up with a way to use one collector for all bottles..the T bar piece of wire should serve that purpose..besides hanging from a grommet,as a tie-off,etc..The extra 8" strip of velcro.. can be used for multiple tasks and weighs nearly nothing,will not break like a rubber band,and doesn't wear out like tape..which it would also replace in a pinch.
There are a lot of gizmos,gadjets,even junk that might be handy on the trail.A person could put together a 2-3oz baggie of miscellaneous junk that would perform 30 tasks and save a pound!..just a thought... :idea:

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:41 pm

i have been thinking about this for a little while but i have a few questions. the first of which would be how clean is the water you catch? you have to take into account a lot of stuff. do you boil the water of filter it of just look at it and say it looks clean to me and make sure the (for RG) birds didnt think you tarp was a target. thats just one thing i was wonderig about. the second most important that i can think of is what do you want to collect it in? like my nalgene i would trust that. i would also trust a gaterade or powerade or coke bottle really almost anything up to 32oz. i dont think i would trust a bag though. but thats just me.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”