Water collecting device

DarenN

Re: Water collection device

Post by DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:49 pm

i would definately filter rain water where i am. the rain falls from the sky through all the pollution and crap that's up there. from out on the ocean looking back at the land you can see the dome of crud that is the air we must breath.

i've been thinking about coming up with a way to hang the water bag of my gravity filter from the corner of the tarp. the output hose connects directly to my MSR Dromedary bag. automaticly filtered water.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 pm

ok guys i figured it out. the cheapest way i can think to make them.

first you need two bottles. they need the same size caps as the two liter bottles. i would go with 20oz bottles. use one for holding the water. the other you cut to make it like a funnel. put holes in it and put a cable across so you can hang it. and to connect the bottles. i have never had any luck getting two caps to stay together but i did have this thing when i was a kid that i got for a science project and here it is...

http://www.teachersource.com/AirPressur ... ctors.aspx

thats the easiest way i can come up with.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Zelph,they are all important thoughts on the thread..which one?????
The first one you made with the photo of the bottle hanging etc.

That's the one I lost in the "transporter" :P

Kum-Pyu-tur!!!! messed up :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:58 pm

zelph wrote:
Zelph,they are all important thoughts on the thread..which one?????
The first one you made with the photo of the bottle hanging etc.

That's the one I lost in the "transporter" :P

Kum-Pyu-tur!!!! messed up :roll:
i'll go mock up a pic for y'all.

Daren.......

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 pm

I'm assuming you meant this..not necessarily a "filter" but a "water catcher".I don't remember if I had the coffee screen in there for catching big stuff..might have if it has the velcro around it...just something to hold the stainless filter in place.The reason I was using just a plastic bag is that the bulk of everything needed is practically nothing once you fold or roll it up.
IR..using those bottles and the adapter will take up a lot of space..Something smaller and skinnier would be nicer to pack around with you.It would be nice to have some kind of inline gravity filtration as Daren was mentioning.I could see packing a second rolled up bladder instead of a bulky bottle.
I'm probably not going to concern myself with three day hikes with something like that.I'll go out with a full bladder and maybe filter something once on the trip might be all that is needed with having a lot of water access on all trails I plan to use.On something like the AT or PCT,it might be a handy item to carry.I know some of the PCT follows the crest and might not have immediate access to water for quite some time.
If Daren is kayaking the ocean or straits(all salt water),his access to fresh water may be limited also to only a few spots enroute..or he'll have to carry it or catch it.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 pm

here's what the HH looks like on the standard rainfly.

Daren...

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:35 pm

realityguy wrote: If Daren is kayaking the ocean or straits(all salt water),his access to fresh water may be limited also to only a few spots enroute..or he'll have to carry it or catch it.
you're right, access to fresh water is very limited most of the trips i go on. very few of the islands in the straights have fresh water, and a lot of the time you just can't count on the weather to supply you with rain. i carry water on kayak trips. hiking in the mountains, i carry very little water, and a gravity filter. the trick is to know your area and what you can get away without carrying.

Daren.......

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:45 pm

ok the hh set up daren just showed is lighter than my idea but mine is diy and cheap. so wheres the love. and RG i would think they pack down about the same. i also dont think either would take up too much room. if you pack it with the tarp the tarp would take up the room inside.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Actually the HH funnels do look smaller than i had originally thought they were.The vortex system would work fine also using a second bottle as a funnel which would pack/store right over the top of the other bottle..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:02 pm

[quote="realityguy"]Actually the HH funnels do look smaller than i had originally thought they were.[quote]

2 7/8 max diameter x 2 1/4" overall hieght........