Water collecting device

realityguy

Re: Water collection device

Post by realityguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Actually I just looked at hennessy again and the funnels aren't priced bad at $10 a pair..Somewhere I recalled I saw a "$30 a set" price;which is why I thought it was a ridiculous amount.Now I'm wondering where that came from! :o The size at that 2-7/8" wouldn't be bad and it appears they fit most bottles and some bladders..check out hennessy's website for better info than mine :roll: ...Me bad!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 pm

i havent really played around with the platypus bags before. do you think they could hang from the cap with the bag full and not damage the bag? i think i remember reading that they have the same size cap.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:44 am

Adjust the height of the bag where it just barely reaches the ground.Then you could control the weight factor...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm

realityguy wrote:Image

I'm assuming you meant this..not necessarily a "filter" but a "water catcher".I don't remember if I had the coffee screen in there for catching big stuff..might have if it has the velcro around it...just something to hold the stainless filter in place.The reason I was using just a plastic bag is that the bulk of everything needed is practically nothing once you fold or roll it up.
Yes, that's what got lost in the transfer. I copied it and inserted it into the first post of this thread. Now it makes cents ;)

Catch the water in a 1 gal. zip lock. Let all the unwanted settle out and then transfer as much as you want of it into other containers etc. Let the ziplock sit on the ground while in the catching mode. If it overflows that's ok. Make it work!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Water collecting device

Post by realityguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Actually..the zip lock has a small hole in the bottom corner..just used as a funnel with the lower end tucked into the bladder...That way you wouldn't need to carry any hard formed one.The water is guided towards the screen to filter out bugs,fir needles, and other large stuff,through the screen and out the lower corner of the zip into the bladder.The folded-up parts just show the ziplock folded and everything compact..other than the bladder...The screen would probably be held back from my teapot until water is boiling and sterilized every time that way when I use it.
It might be interesting to see ideas of a "bladder to bladder" setup for filtration from one to the other or..inline before it gets into the bladder.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:09 pm

realityguy wrote: It might be interesting to see ideas of a "bladder to bladder" setup for filtration from one to the other or..inline before it gets into the bladder.
that's what i've been thinking about! i have the MSR gravity filter, and a couple MSR Dromedary Bags. the "gray water" bag of the filter needs to be fitted to the tarp corner somehow. the output (clean water) line screws onto the Dromeday bag securely. i might look into the Platypus bag for gray water collection as i understand it will thread onto the HH funnel.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:24 pm

It's too bad they don't have more of a universal thread on these things.I found Blackburn,two different camelbaks,a Kelty that matched a bottle, another brand that I don't know what it is,and an Outdoor Products one..as far as I know they are all different until I try crossthreading caps back and forth.Somewhere I have a new package of something for "Platypus" but I think it's just a new bitevalve...I need to get rid of crap.. :lol:
Somewhere also I've got some adapters for pur filters that go "hoses to caps" for some of those.Guess I'll start figuring out what goes with what..I think I've got 5-6 Pur filters with a whole bunch of different attachments.,a couple unused.
I don't think I'll be getting much done today except dragging stuff out to see what is there. :lol:
Somewhere I have a 10' folding table..think I'm going to need it! :o

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:28 pm

realityguy wrote:It's too bad they don't have more of a universal thread on these things.I found Blackburn,two different camelbaks,a Kelty that matched a bottle, another brand that I don't know what it is,and an Outdoor Products one..as far as I know they are all different until I try crossthreading caps back and forth.Somewhere I have a new package of something for "Platypus" but I think it's just a new bitevalve...I need to get rid of crap.. :lol:
Somewhere also I've got some adapters for pur filters that go "hoses to caps" for some of those.Guess I'll start figuring out what goes with what..I think I've got 5-6 Pur filters with a whole bunch of different attachments.,a couple unused.
I don't think I'll be getting much done today except dragging stuff out to see what is there. :lol:
Somewhere I have a 10' folding table..think I'm going to need it! :o
yep them folding table nice i got 2 and can lay my hands on them
Man play with fire man get burnt

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 pm

i think we are all on about the same page here. thats why i asked about the platypus bags. so does anyone know if a screw cap will hold them up when they are filled? i saw where a guy made a filter out of the fiber and activated carbon from a fish tank supply store. i dont know if i would trust it for all water but i know i would trust it for the rain water off the tarp. all i have to do is find a housing for it. that can be done. but the idea im working depends on the platy bag being able to be held by the cap. if it wont then i have to rethink the whole thing.

i would give the guy credit that i saw with the filter idea but i cant remember who it was. ill see if i can dig it up.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm

After looking at my bladders..Kelty,Outdoor Products,and a another unknown one all have a universal fit top end and cap,matching a kelty ridgeway nalgene type bottle.They also have a stronger collar for hanging the bags off of,instead of hanging it by the cap.I also have a pur hose-to-cap that fits that,a pur prefilter,and a timberline brand one for guardia(which I doubt would be a problem off a tarp)..however I don't know if either filter/prefilter would handle a gravity feed verses a forced feed system...
I still think the weight problem could be solved by setting the bottom of the bag on the ground taking most of the stress off the bag...