Water collecting device

oops56

Re: Water collecting device

Post by oops56 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:44 pm

realityguy wrote:After looking at my bladders..Kelty,Outdoor Products,and a another unknown one all have a universal fit top end and cap,matching a kelty ridgeway nalgene type bottle.They also have a stronger collar for hanging the bags off of,instead of hanging it by the cap.I also have a pur hose-to-cap that fits that,a pur prefilter,and a timberline brand one for guardia(which I doubt would be a problem off a tarp)..however I don't know if either filter/prefilter would handle a gravity feed verses a forced feed system...
I still think the weight problem could be solved by setting the bottom of the bag on the ground taking most of the stress off the bag...
I not sure about this filter why not just catch the water first then filter
Man play with fire man get burnt

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:52 pm

i dont know about the other guys but the reason i want to is because i dont think it would need to be filtered that much. so i dont see any reason to put it through my mini works. but i do think it needs to be filtered some. plus its just easier and something to do.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Makes sense to me..I think it might be easier to catch the water,then have a connection to connection fitting with a filter in between..then just reverse the containers and let 'er drip from the catcher to the keeper....or bottle to bladder or visa versa...through the filter..
I think the important thing would be to eliminate all that pumping if a person could....and keep your filter pump working longer...especially on a thru hike or something longer than a 3 day..("carryable" trip)...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 pm

to me its a little more simple. and this is why you have to hike your own hike. if it needs to be filtered and its catch water from rain. if i cant filter it while catching it then its not worth my time. the reason i say this is that i dont see getting enough water from an average rain to fill my needs for a day. so i will have to filter water anyway. if i have to go through the trouble of doing that then why not do it all. the appeal of the water catching system to me is that i can set it up and forget about it until i have to break camp. when it comes to that i have the water ready to go. nothing else is needed to be done. unhook the thing you have your water and the rest gets shaken out and put up until i make camp again that night. i want it for simplicity, plan and simple. getting the thing to catch the water is only half the inline filter is the real meat and potatoes of what i want.

im not sure about the speed of the filter i was talking about earlier but i can think that it would be slower than the water was collecting. if it is then its raining so hard and so much that its going to be full one way or another.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:03 pm

ive been looking on and off all day but i just found the water filter thing i was talking about. its on youtube. it was also on another forum and i just found it again here is the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8VQk4is ... r_embedded

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:58 pm

i want out today and now i have a 1l platypus bag. so its time for me to start working on this a little harder.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:32 pm

It'll be ready by Monday?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:11 am

i dont think so tim. i have another project that im working on. i cleaned out mom koi pond today and im still working on restoring an antique dry sink for her also. so ill be busy for the next few days on that. i started the dry sink a month ago but then we hit creative differences with it. she wanted to paint it then she wanted to stain it. then she didnt know so i stopped. now we are back to stain and i have a second one to do.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

i went shopping at my stove and project supplier today. which means that while i was working on something i gave the wife two plastic bags and told her to clean her car out. she put all the plastic bottles and cans in one and the trash in the other. so now i have a good many parts to work with. i think i can get started on the water collecting device. i still have a little more than one dry sink to finish but i need something to do at night. :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Handy source for supplies. How about your Mom, any items that you've seen there that could be used :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/