Looks funny but it works for a water filter

zelph

Looks funny but it works for a water filter

Post by zelph » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:22 pm

The photos are on a site that I no longer subscribe to. My early days of posting on Whiteblaze. View the post made on Whiteblaze in 2006. (check out the poor mans avitar :lol: )

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpos ... ostcount=1
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Re: Looks funny but it works for a water filter

Post by hoz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm

What is the micron size for a hepa filter?

You need 2 microns to filter giardia and cryptosporidium.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Heck you could fill 5 bottles at once! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:17 pm

You might even just use one of those filters stretched across the center of a single glove,use the top for a funnel and one of the bottom fingers to get the water into a bladder...Hmm...
I'm a city boy..Is that how cows filter milk?..sure looks like it... :o :mrgreen: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:49 pm

I beleive it was 2 microns but don't quote me yet.

Blue gloves for milk that used for "blue cheese" Brown gloves for chocolate milk and white gloves for white milk :mrgreen: city boy ;)

5 bottles at once, user friendly. :D

The gloves fit really tight around the cartridge and seals well.

The setup is for emergency use if necessary. Boil your water if all fails. :D

Udder than that, the project was fun and moooving in the right direction at the time. ;)

Edited:

A quick search gave us this:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-hepa-filter.htm

The rating for a HEPA filter is based on capturing nearly all microns .3 in size, verses .1 or even .001 because .3 microns are the hardest size to trap and the optimal size for passing into the human respiratory system. Therefore the .3 micron efficiency rating sets the highest standard.
A HEPA filter is so efficient that for every 10,000 particles that enter the filter within its filtering range, only 3 particles will get through. Surprisingly, HEPA filters become even more efficient the longer they are in use.
For this reason HEPA filters are used in environments that rely on high clean-air standards. Surgical facilities, tuberculosis wards, NASA clean rooms, and laboratories are a few examples of environments that utilize HEPA filters. HEPA filters are particularly useful for allergy sufferers.
Many imitations of HEPA filters pervade the marketplace, usually called HEPA -type filters. They are less expensive than true HEPA filters, rated lower, and do an inferior job of filtering the air. If your health requires the specific benefits and efficiency of a HEPA filter, check the packaging to make sure the filter is rated at an efficiency of 99.97% for microns .3 in size. If it's a true HEPA filter, it will have this rating clearly marked. <a href="http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-hepa- ... il">Source - What Is A Hepa Filter?</a>
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Isn't that an air filter?Wouldn't water ruin that or change the filtration?When you throw out your old metal filters,you could send them my way..I can't seem to find any more of that style.They seem to be making the dang things all out of plastic now... :mrgreen:

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 pm

thats not bad. im with RG on this one i would think that water passing through it would work funny. but it may not i really dont know.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:09 pm

if it works .3 microns is good. i just checked the filter box for my mini works and its .2.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:21 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:if it works .3 microns is good. i just checked the filter box for my mini works and its .2.
my MSR gravity filter reads the same 0.2 micron; with the flow rate being 1.75 liters per minute.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:50 pm

the more i look at thins filter idea the more i think. its not what i had in mind but it does promt me to think a little more outside the box. thats what i like about this site over others. there is so much diy stuff going on that it gives you more options. its not like one guy sets a bolg and if you dont agree with it you are gone. now i will be looking a little more outside the box to figure out how to make the filter work for me. thanks again!