the RWH (rain water harvester)

irrationalsolutions

the RWH (rain water harvester)

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:02 am

ok i would like to start this off with a warning... do not try this at home!!!

its not that it is hard or dangerous. its just that it gave me the biggest headache i have had in a long time, and im still not finished with it.

here is what i have so far...

after several failed attempts at this i came to the conclusion that they dont make plastic drink bottles like they used to. now that being said they all ripped on me. so i went to plan "B". with luck plan "B" worked and i didnt have to go to plan "C" which was going to work, but i would never have used it because it would have been too heavy. which would have lead to plan "D" which was going to be to order the darn thinks from hh.

so i found that the bottles are not strong enough. by the way the part i am using is from the top of the label up off a 20oz coke bottle. i like coke and dr. pepper so that is what i used for this but feel free to drink whatever you want and use that bottle. then i pulled the red ring off. again i like and used a coke bottle but if you perfer something else your ring may not be red.

after that i had to drill 1/16 holes in the lip that sticks out that the red ring is seated on. i drilled three of them as close as i could get to equal distances apart. then straight up on the bottle i drilled the same sized holes about 1/4in from the where i cut the bottle. that was the easy part. the reason i drilled into the lip was for the strength. everytime i tried to attach it to the bottle where the other holes were at, the bottle ripped. so i gave that up after three tries.

then i got 14lb test fishing line. now i used 14lb spider wire because im lazy and that was the first spool of line i found. you can use what ever you have on hand. i would personally use atleast 6lb but its really up to you. then i tied it to one of the holes i drilled in the lip. ran it to the hole that matched it down the bottle and out to a fishing sweevle (sp). ran it through that and back inside the bottle and out the next hole. back up the bottle and through the matching hole on the lip. over to the last hole on the lip and back down the bottle and through its matching hole. then i tied it off again to the sweezle (SP). and thats it. i also found that since last fishing season i had to practice my fishing hook knots again, but on the second try i had the hang of it again. i kept it tied close to the bottle because it looked like the hh ones were that way so i figured that there was a reason for that i kept with the theme.

now for the part im still not sure about. glueing the caps together. i have never been able to make this work for me before. but in fairness i havent tried since i was a kid. well i sanded them together to make the bond as good as i could make it. then i applied loctite 495. now, that is the strongest stuff i have without pulling out the two part epoxy. if that doesnt work i will be forced to do that. then for good measure i have four clamps holding the two caps together. after they sit for a while i am going to take the clamps off and tape them and drill out the center. once i have all that done at some point tomorrow i will take pics and post them. and that is my RWH syste

ps
i know this is a little long and all but i also know that tinny and his group read this forum so i wanted to make the directions easy so they could understant them.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

irrationalsolutions

Re: the RWH (rain water harvester)

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:28 am

ok i should finish the idea for you so you get the rest of it before i post the pics. the two caps im glueing together is to attach my 1L platy bag. im going with the bags because they pack down smaller and i can also use them for water storage if im on a stretch where water is hard to come by. i was also thinking about wrapping the two caps with tape to add a little extra to the glued caps. i will swap the two caps when i found something that will work as well and is one piece.

since i got the platy bag the other day i have been playing around with it and a cake bottle cap seems to work well on it. for water storage i am going to take the cap that comes with the bag unaltered. im also not giving up on the integrated filter idea but for now that isnt important. that can always be added later. which means whenever i figure out how to make it work and small and most importantly cheap!

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:08 pm

ok the loctite 495 didnt work. it held for less then a min with the full 1L bag on it, then broke apart. so i have to try something else. if that doesnt work ill go ahead ans post the pics of what ive got anyway.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:ok the loctite 495 didnt work. it held for less then a min with the full 1L bag on it, then broke apart. so i have to try something else. if that doesnt work ill go ahead ans post the pics of what ive got anyway.

Dam need bolt and nut :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Tinny and his group are no longer welcome here. Therefore they will no longer be reading the content of bplite. :shock:

Hang in there IRS, the irrational solution is not far away :D

Or you could get a "Tornado Tube" and use it as your connector.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/pro ... e=googleps
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:50 pm

yes zelph thats what i was talking about when i said vortex thing. i used to have one but i have no idea where it ended up at. i think i posted a link to another place to get them cheaper or in bulk on the water collecting thread. i did recently find the educational supply place in town so i might run by and see. i was just looking to see if i could do it diy first. RG wnetioned pvc fittings and i was thinking that i have some around here somewhere but i cant find them either. ill see what turns up first. give me a few mins and ill take a pic of what i have so far and post it.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 pm

ok here is a pic of what i have right now...

like i said i still am working on how to connect it to the platy bag but this will show where i am at right now.

and on a side note i have almost finished the first dry sink for my mother. all i have left to do is sand down one of the legs so it wont wabble anymore but i had to stop for the day. after that she is going to stain it.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 pm

zelph wrote:Tinny and his group are no longer welcome here. Therefore they will no longer be reading the content of bplite. :shock:

Are you kidding? What about the free exchange of ideas and all that? It's your call, but IMO dissenting voices should be heard, offensive statements should be deleted with no comment.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:
zelph wrote:Tinny and his group are no longer welcome here. Therefore they will no longer be reading the content of bplite. :shock:

Are you kidding? What about the free exchange of ideas and all that? It's your call, but IMO dissenting voices should be heard, offensive statements should be deleted with no comment.

Tinny crossed the line, harlydave was sent over by tinny to do his dirty work. They are no longer wanted here and are forbidden to view the content of this site. I no longer view his site and it's good riddens. :shock:

The vortex thing might be available in hardware store plumbing dept.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:29 pm

well we had a lowes and a hardware store in town then in came home depot and the hardware store went under. now the home depot in about to go under. i know home depot doesnt carry the thing and i also know for a fact that lowes doesnt carry it. i worked there for 3 years. the hardware store might have but there is no way to know now. but i remember when i needed it for science class i had to go the the educational supply store. im in a different town now but i will check there when i get a chance.

i think i am on the right track with the collecting device though. i have one more to make but it should be easier since i know how to do it now. my thinking on that is that two will help balance the tarp. atleast thats what im going with.

since i was thinking more about using the stock hh tarp for summer use i can use them. when winter camping and hiking i will have to carry more stuff and the winter tarp i dont think i will be able to use it anyway.

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”