the RWH (rain water harvester)

oops56

Re: the RWH (rain water harvester)

Post by oops56 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Man i not know what going on with bag water trying to read between the lines. Just hold out hands catch it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Or just hang out your socks then ring them out in you bottle :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:17 pm

ok oops here is a bigger picture it might help out a little...

“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:34 pm

thanks IRA. i was unsure how you had gone about threading the fishing line. that cleared it up nicely.

i doubt you'll loose much water from it running down the lines and out the holes, but you could seal them with a urethane sealent like "Aquaseal" or "McNetts".

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:46 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:ok oops here is a bigger picture it might help out a little...

Ok got it now so do you put a coffee filter in there also
Man play with fire man get burnt

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 pm

daren i thought about that too. but after playing around with it for a little while i think i am going to leave it this way. between how hard it rains and the wind the rain will not always come off the tarp the same way. with the hanging systen the way i have it there is only one line tied on both ends. that allows me to slide it around a little and i can change the angle. that the reason i went with three points not two. i dont know how that will work out in the field but i want to find out. plus the way it is tied i dont think i will loose any water. water tends to run down a line at the lowest point which is the bottom. well the line rests on the bottle so it should just keep running down the bottle on the inside. the only way that i see that i can loose water is by the bag filling up or if i add a filter later the water coming in faster than the filter can work. that will just be over flow water and there is nothing i can do about that.

but i could be wrong about it all. like i said i will have to test it in the field first. then ill know how it acts for real. i think i am going to start on the other one tonight. it only took me about 20min to make it once i figured out how i wanted to do it. i tried another glue today and it didnt hold the caps together either. but to be honest with you i wasnt that thrilled about the water running through the glue either. so next time i get a chance its off to the store to try to find something.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 pm

oops you are the man! i never thought about that. i can see that working. i will deffinately have to try that as soon as i can. thanks for the idea!

see thats why tiny doesnt want you around. you make him look bad! :D

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 pm

ok i just finished the second one and something hit me that i though i would mention. use new parts!!!!!! i am glad i didnt try to use it yet. i didnt have any new sweevles so i just pulled them out of my tackle box. im going to have to bleach adn boil these now. the last time i used any was in a pond that well to say the least i could filter and boil the water and still wouldnt drink it if i were going to die if i didnt. i dont even eat the fish in this pond its a catch and release pond as far as i am concerned. i think the thing is feed my runoff from a street.

now that i am thinking about it i might go buy new ones and retie them both.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Here's a good price on the connector

Vortex Tornado Cyclone bottle connector
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:48 pm

i think that is the same price that i found them for. i can get them cheaper if i buy in bulk but i dont need 40 of them.

i was thinking about your other post about how to do the caps and came up with something similar. i used 1/4in tubing connecters. here is a pic of the whole thing...

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm

i was thinking about your other post about how to do the caps and came up with something similar. i used 1/4in tubing connecters. here is a pic of the whole thing...
There ya go, DIY works best all the time :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/