Limb Lopper turned knife

zelph

Limb Lopper turned knife

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:01 pm

I made a knife out of a replacement blade for a limb lopper. You know, one of those work oriented tools that cause sweat to appear on days when we should be on the trails and not be doing yard work.

Image I used plumbers putty (2 part epoxy) formed it around the lopper blade to fit my hand. Under my thumb is a hole surounded by a stainless steel washer. A lanyard could be used to have around the neck. A neck knife if you will. Large one!!! :D

Image Made a 1,000 denier nylon pouch w/belt loop and velcro closure.

This tool is so tuff you can hammer on it with a huge stone to crack open a wet 4" tree branch to get at the dry wood to make your life saving fire.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Re: Limb Lopper turned knife

Post by Skidsteer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:22 pm

I love that idea! I have to try it.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:37 pm

Skidsteer wrote:I love that idea! I have to try it.
Have a go at it. It makes a good skinning knife also. Used it to remove the hide from a good sized buck. Don't
tell anyone I used my sawzall to butcher most of it :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:38 pm

Here are a few more photos I came across :

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:55 pm

Our newest member "Bishop" somehow wound up being directed to this thread via the internet. He immediately recognised the knife.

I met Bishop on a Survival Forum about three years ago. He showed a likeing to the DIY knife as he was a DIY knife maker himself. He's an expert on cold steel and hope he will share some insight on some lightweight blades for backpacking. As a token of my appreciation for his friendship, I sent him the original (1st edition) that you see in the photos. He knows this knife well :)

We lost contact with each other. My computer crashed, lost most of my email data and earlier photos of survival interest. Changed providers went to "Dial Up" service blah,blah,blah.

So that's how info on a site can travel from place to place. Can make a difference in some small way. Be careful of what you say :D

Welcome to the neighborhood Bishop.

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:07 am

I'm off to Lowes and Home D with diy knives in mind :)

Here's what I'm looking for. I found one online for $19. Looks like it would well as a wood splitter for camp
Also going to grab one of the replacement blades to make the zelph version :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

simplepeddler

Post by simplepeddler » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 am

Man, I envy you guys that have those abilities..............I'm afraid that the emergency room bills would far out wieght the value of the knife if I tried to make one of those.........

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 am

simplepeddler wrote:Man, I envy you guys that have those abilities..............I'm afraid that the emergency room bills would far out wieght the value of the knife if I tried to make one of those.........
I'd be far more likely to end up with emergency bills if I tried to grind a piece of steel. All you have to do with this idea is form a handle. All the forging, grinding and sharpening are done for you. :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 pm

The knives demonstrated on YouTube can work that way because they have a thick "full tang". This means the knife metal runs through the entire length of the knife handle.

sudden, that kind of blade could work, maybe, if you only hit it on the blade. But the handle could still break off.

simplepeddler, an axe has more risk of injury than a thick "full tang" knife and baton because the blade is on the wood to be split. What I like about the knife and baton demonstrations so much is it is a safer, better way to split a little wood for backpacking purposes.

No matter how sharp, an axe will frequently "bounce" off the wood to be split. The axe bounces back or glances off to the side, at considerable risk of injuring you, or, anyone nearby. You can be injured quite severely, severing a toe or permanently damaging your foot, for example. It happens quite often, because of the wood grain, the type of wood, moisture content, or knots in the wood.

That is why the YouTube videos mention the wood they are splitting with a knife and baton has knots.

If you hadn't split wood with an axe, you would not realise they are making a strong point about the safety of using a thick "full tang" knife and a baton of wood to split wood.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:13 pm

The only time I would need to split a 3" branch is to get into the center to shave off some tinder for use in wet weather. The woods are filled with dry branches that can easily be used as fuel without having to split them. Split wood burns too fast in a camp fire. I split only small twigs for part of the tinder pile. I use telephone book paper for ignition. I'm hooked on the method that I came up with last summer. I include an instruction video with the purchase of a Woodgaz stove. In the video is some information that has not been presented anywhere on the internet.

Sudden, is that blade titanium or does it carry the name as a "come on" attractor.