Limb Lopper turned knife

sudden

Re: Limb Lopper turned knife

Post by sudden » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:38 am

zelph wrote:Sudden, find something to make a knife with :D

I found a new long handled pruner with a really nice blade on it. I removed it and split a 3" dia. branch easily with it. I'm not going to wrap the handle part, just going to leave it as is. I purchased the pruner at a store named "Tueday Morning" Maybe you have one of these stores in your area, check it out, very reasonable prices. The pruner cost me $10.00. Not to shabby!!!! :D

The blade has a little dohickey at the end that turns downward for a sure grip feature.
I saw one like that in a local store but it wasn't $10, nice find. I spent $25 on the hedge trimmer idea and got 2 blades.

It worked out well as a diy project with the grandson. He wrapped his version in paracord only. Mine has paracord also but I wanted to try the silicone tape so I wrapped the paracord over with the tape (looks terrible :) )
He made a diy pvc knife sheath like this video.

We haven't sharpened them up yet. They are chisel ground as you would expect for shears. I'm thinking of adding a convex grind to the flat side. There's no knife grind out there that combines them both but that's all I can think of to add more strength for chopping.

I found a nice video for a diy strop. That should take care of the convex grind and be safe enough for kids to do.

Now we need a little warm weather so we can split some wood and go camping.
Next on the list for us is trout on a stick over a wood fire :D
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:17 am

Both videos very informative, thank you. Never woulda thought to use pvc like that, clever!!

Let us know how the grind turns out.

I'll see if I can get a quick video of the lopper splitting a 3" branch.

Cerium oxide on a buffing wheel will get a razor sharp edge on any type of blade or chisle.

I have a vintage "razor" strap in the garage somewhere that I will have to search for. :o

Warm weather is finally getting here, hooorah!!!!

Main objective for today is pickeled herring in a jar and clean my greenhouse out to get ready for a spring perennial plant sale. Lots of old plants to dig up and devide.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:13 pm

I have a Green Mountain Skinning knife that I haven't been able to find a sheath for because of its blade shape(bent back with the sharp blade portion exposed)..perhaps I can bend the straight portion of one made like that to accomplish and make a decent sheath for it..good idea!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:15 pm

realityguy wrote:I have a Green Mountain Skinning knife that I haven't been able to find a sheath for because of its blade shape(bent back with the sharp blade portion exposed)..perhaps I can bend the straight portion of one made like that to accomplish and make a decent sheath for it..good idea!
This idea might work better for you. It's a two part method. (kydex is heat moldable like pvc)
I think one guy used some old vinyl siding too. I liked the one pc. idea better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7CsuKqR ... re=related
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:33 pm

One of the comments made to the last video:
i found a toaster oven in the shop the best method to soften kydex or other plastics the best
For smaller knives maybe shrink tube used for electric cable sealing would work to some extent.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/