Limb Lopper turned knife

ConnieD

Re: Limb Lopper turned knife

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:18 pm

That matches my experience. I feel an axe is not necessary for backpacking or for camping.

I found this nice video demonstrating a paracord wrap.

Maybe it would work well on the lopper replacement blade?

I will order a Woodgaz as soon as I can, because I like the flat-fold design so much. I didn't realise there was a video.

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Yep, the para cord wrap is what I have in mind. That blade I pictured would not have a handle added to its end. The handle would be made by wrapping the back 1/2 of the total length with para or leather. No breakage that way (would have to file down any sharpened edge that gets wrapped is all).
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

I don't have dimensions for the blade but it is a replacement for a hedge trimmer so I assume it's at least 5" long.

Here's the description:
"
AirShoc Titanium Non-Stick Hedge Shear Replacement Blade with Microban Titanium Non-Stick blade will resist saps and adhesives. Blade is 5x harder than untreated steel and will stay sharper longer. Constructed of the finest carbon SK steel and forged to hold an edge
"

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 pm

sudden wrote:I don't have dimensions for the blade but it is a replacement for a hedge trimmer so I assume it's at least 5" long.

Here's the description:
"
AirShoc Titanium Non-Stick Hedge Shear Replacement Blade with Microban Titanium Non-Stick blade will resist saps and adhesives. Blade is 5x harder than untreated steel and will stay sharper longer. Constructed of the finest carbon SK steel and forged to hold an edge
"
zelph, It is not titanium but appears to have a titanium coating to resist sticking? What caught my eye is the Carbon SK steel. The Ti coating would rust proof it a little.

This is how they describe the use of the word titanium in the product:

"
Titanium Non-Stick:

Our proprietary new coating bonds Titanium with a non-stick formula. Highly resistant to adhesives including tape, glue, Velcro® and natural adhesive substances such as sap. This is a durable micro ceramic coating that will not wear off – up to 100,000 cuts. It is 5X harder than Stainless Steel alone and will stay sharper longer.
"

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:04 pm

sudden, I have a Kuhn Rikon kitchen knife that has a ceramic surface.

Nothing has damaged it so far. It does have a plastic sheath for the knife in the drawer. I keep the knife clean, because I was told leaving things on the surface attacks the edge. I have only dressed the edge with the Lansky Speedy Edge.

There have been no marks whatsoever on the ceramic surface.

I have some Wescott "Titanium" kitchen scissors. The surface is was more easily deeply scratched. But I used these scissors to cut "Foster's can" cookware and windscreens for backpacking, that is, until I got much nicer UL cookware and zelph made much nicer windscreens, I use.
Last edited by ConnieD on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm

I like the info on the replacement "shear" blade. Looks like it will work well for A DIY limb splitter. I have found some nice woven genuine leather belts at the local thrift store that would make for a nice handle wrapping. I'll see if I can get a photo up on that.

I scrounged a 3" diameter limb from outside that has been exposed to the elements and is moist. I'll see if I can get a photo of it being split.

I've never had a ceramic coated blade, no report.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 pm

I ordered one of the blades. ~$25 all total. I needed a simple diy project and if this works I'll have a nice knife for camp. My brother knows a guy who makes knives from old tool steel files. He uses a forge and quenching to form the blade and get it to the correct hardness. I don't want to get that involved in making one and don't want to spend a lot on it either.

p.s. Zelph, I tried Lowes, Home D, and Tractor Supply. Had no luck finding the small replacement blade you used. I could get one online but the shipping costs more than the blade :(

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:12 pm

sudden wrote:I ordered one of the blades. ~$25 all total. I needed a simple diy project and if this works I'll have a nice knife for camp. My brother knows a guy who makes knives from old tool steel files. He uses a forge and quenching to form the blade and get it to the correct hardness. I don't want to get that involved in making one and don't want to spend a lot on it either.

p.s. Zelph, I tried Lowes, Home D, and Tractor Supply. Had no luck finding the small replacement blade you used. I could get one online but the shipping costs more than the blade :(
Doing the forge/file project is labor intensive :o We like easy :D

I lucked out when I purchased the replacement blade. It was on clearance at a TrueValue hardware store in the chicago burbs. 4-5 bucks at most.

I took apart my hedge trimmer to see how well the blade fits my hand and to demo the leather belt wrap. I purchased 3 leather belts today at .50 each. I'm going to make a "welcome" floor mat for my camper. I have enough belts purchased to make the mat, now I just need to "doit" I saw the mat project on TV last year and thought I'd like to do the project during the winter months. OK maybe this weekend :DB:

Here are some photos of the belt wrap
Attachments
Dans file 003.jpg
Dans file 002.jpg
Dans file 001.jpg

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm

I have an old woven belt but no old hedge trimmer. The teeth on my electric one are too small for this project :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Sudden, find something to make a knife with :D

I found a new long handled pruner with a really nice blade on it. I removed it and split a 3" dia. branch easily with it. I'm not going to wrap the handle part, just going to leave it as is. I purchased the pruner at a store named "Tueday Morning" Maybe you have one of these stores in your area, check it out, very reasonable prices. The pruner cost me $10.00. Not to shabby!!!! :D

The blade has a little dohickey at the end that turns downward for a sure grip feature.