DIY Rippled Windscreen

Ridgerunner

DIY Rippled Windscreen

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:59 pm

I had 2 ideas on making a rippled windscreen similar to Zelphs but maybe not as precisely engineered. :lol: This is the second method I came up with after the ol' :idea: went off on a recent thrift store trip.
ImageImage

The cost of the tool to make the windscreen.....$2.99 Now, you might find it cheaper or you might risk life and limb by "borrowing" your spouses. I suggest watching the thrift stores if you plan on making more than one :lol: Oh yeah, the tool.....................

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28 ... 009629.jpg

You need to kind of roll the crimper from one side to the other. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Re: DIY Rippled Windscreen

Post by realityguy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:10 pm

:lol: Boy you are asking for trouble aren't you.. :lol: Maybe she'll kick you out of the house for awhile and you'll have to go camping(You wish.. ;) ..)I sent you a PM.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 am

Very clever!!!! looks like it would work well to make a "SqueezeBox" windscreen/potstand like the one "Captain Paranoia" came up with.

RR, you got stovie eyes :mrgreen:

Never use items that belong to you wife for stove projects :D

There is an exception though. You can use her kitchen to bake jello mold muffins for her.(and meatloaf) Use HEET for fuel for a no smell bake session.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Post by russb » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:17 pm

I was thinking about something the other day while using my EZ fold windscreen and the FF stove... It is the conventional wisdom to put air-holes along the bottom of windscreens, however I have never found a place in the wilderness where the bottom of the windscreen was flush with the ground anyway. Also, I don't have the windscreen completely closed off to allow for the pot handles.

So my question is whether the air-holes are actually necessary?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 pm

russb wrote:I was thinking about something the other day while using my EZ fold windscreen and the FF stove... It is the conventional wisdom to put air-holes along the bottom of windscreens, however I have never found a place in the wilderness where the bottom of the windscreen was flush with the ground anyway. Also, I don't have the windscreen completely closed off to allow for the pot handles.

russb, if your not closing your windscreen completely for maximum efficiency, then you do not need the updraft holes along the bottom. When using a closed windscreen with about a 1/4" gap around your cookpot, the the drafting holes are recommended for maximum flame. A lot of our testing is done on flat surfaces where the updraft vents are beneficial.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:51 pm

russb wrote:. Also, I don't have the windscreen completely closed off to allow for the pot handles.

Notch out the windscreen to allow for the handles. Completely encircle the pot, start with widest possible diameter circle. close circle if conditions are necessary to block wind.

Air holes are necessary. You want sufficient air to enter from the bottom and rise up and out along side the burner and pot.

If there are no holes, air will want to come in over the top of the screen and cause turbulance. I doubled the amount of holes in the windscreens that are now included with the stoves I sell. As soon as I can I'll be increasing the size of the holes for more air.

You can cut V shaped notches in the base of the screen to allow more air to enter. Space them equally around the screen.

I wish I had time to do a video that shows the difference in operation and efficiency of a windscreen with and without proper air holes. About a year ago I did a series of tests using a coleman replacement lantern glass as my windscreen. I did tests using an Ion stove as per instructions from Sgt Rock. He showed the use of a windscreen not full closed around his stove. My testing showed the draft pattern pushed the stoves flame off to the backside of the pot. The glass globe allowed me to see what was going on around the pot and stove.

The test results are on whiteblaze somewhere. I'll do a quick search to see if I can find the thread.

Search results:

Here is aphoto of the glass globe with the ion inside. globe has an aluminum base attached that eventuall had holes punced into it. The tests were done in 2006 (time flies)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... yte030.jpg

Here is the thread that talks about the Ion. there are some links in there that take you over to the Rocks site. Read them.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr ... =ion+stove

Here is a quote by Sgt. Rock made in one of the links:

All
I can think may be the problem here is either you are not using denatured alcohol (which I doubt is the problem) or you could have a contaminated batch of fuel. Denatured alcohol can get contaminated with water if left open. I have seen that occasionally in my own testing

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.ph ... #post15381

We see where the urban legend goes back to. It's the first place I saw it written. Then it came over to this site via bill ballowe of white box stoves and then entered tinny saying the same about the bios when it had overflow problems.

We are led to believe that it's never the stove design that causes the problem.

russb

Post by russb » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:28 pm

I am able to get the windscreen pretty darn close around the pot. the ez-fold definitely makes that easier.

My point was the lack of flat surfaces in the bush always allowed for a lot of air to come from below regardless and thus I questioned the need for the holes in the real-world application as opposed to a bench test when the screen would be almost flush against the table.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:33 pm

russb wrote:I am able to get the windscreen pretty darn close around the pot. the ez-fold definitely makes that easier.

My point was the lack of flat surfaces in the bush always allowed for a lot of air to come from below regardless and thus I questioned the need for the holes in the real-world application as opposed to a bench test when the screen would be almost flush against the table.
The uneveness in terrain is an asset, more air. My motto is never deny your stove air. Control it!!!! The main thing is not to have it coming over the top of the windscreen and going downward.

You can always turn the screen upside down and have the holes at the top if too much air is entering from the bottom.

RR, no luck at the thrift stor to find a crimper, but did find 1 jello mold baking pan :D

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:29 pm

Went to visit the folks today and found the perfect windscreen rippling machine. does anyone know what this tool was used for ?
Attachments
DSCF2292.JPG

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Wringing water out of neckties? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy