DIY Rippled Windscreen

Ridgerunner

Re: DIY Rippled Windscreen

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:42 pm

realityguy wrote:Wringing water out of neckties? :lol:
Your on the right track but wrong answer. I'm sure Zelph knows what it is. I've never been able to stump him :lol: The ol geezer's been around soo long. Maybe Oops might know. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:11 pm

Well it could be a noodle maker..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:37 am

nothing to do with food ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

russb

Post by russb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:03 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Went to visit the folks today and found the perfect windscreen rippling machine. does anyone know what this tool was used for ?

It looks like the wringer from an old "washing machine". Considering the patent date of 1875, that would make sense since the washing machine "technology" of that type was occurring then.

http://www.google.com/patents?num=100&q ... xy_is=1875

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:25 pm

It's an iron fluter..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:49 pm

realityguy wrote:It's an iron fluter..
RG, I think you got it. As explained by mom, The two crimper rollers have a round bar that is heated then in serted in the crimpers which is used to crimp clothing in the old days(Oops and Zelph's days :lol: ) It is neat to walk in the folks house as different rooms have antiques that would correspond to that room from yesteryear. I found that "iron fluter" in the basement laundry room along with an old wringer washer and several old cast iron irons. Mom said she gave a c-note for the fluter so I guess I will not be making windscreens with it ! :roll: :lol:

marko

Post by marko » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:When using a closed windscreen with about a 1/4" gap around your cookpot, the the drafting holes are recommended for maximum flame. A lot of our testing is done on flat surfaces where the updraft vents are beneficial.
Is there any testing about the height of the windscreen? I'm interested how high it should reache to be high enough, since I have a small titanium mug, and want to fit windscreen (and stove of course) inside of it. :roll:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 pm

marko wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:When using a closed windscreen with about a 1/4" gap around your cookpot, the the drafting holes are recommended for maximum flame. A lot of our testing is done on flat surfaces where the updraft vents are beneficial.
Is there any testing about the height of the windscreen? I'm interested how high it should reache to be high enough, since I have a small titanium mug, and want to fit windscreen (and stove of course) inside of it. :roll:
The further up the side it goes the better but I would want it to be short enough to fit inside the pot if possibe otherwise I would have it go up the side of your pot to the height of where 2 cups of water or the amount you usually use reaches. JMO

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Mom said she gave a c-note for the fluter so I guess I will not be making windscreens with it ! :roll: :lol:
Check ebay for iron fluters... :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:41 pm

realityguy wrote:
Mom said she gave a c-note for the fluter so I guess I will not be making windscreens with it ! :roll: :lol:
Check ebay for iron fluters... :mrgreen:
They are listed ! I just as soon spend that kind of jack on a borde bomb :lol: and settle on using the thrift store hair crimper :lol: There are a couple hand roller crimpers listed for $20 but the wider hand crank ones are out of this bottom feeder range. I'll wait to inherit one ! ;) :lol: Too bad the folks don't collect antique backpacking stoves. :lol: