Would you call this a "Stovie Fridge"?

JollyRogers

Re: Would you call this a "Stovie Fridge"?

Post by JollyRogers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:00 am

This thing is awesome. When backpacking I rarely need anything kept cold unless it is a fish or something. If so I usually just put it in a zip lock and put it in the creek/lake.

However in arid/desert areas without cold water sources this would be excellent. I'll have to make one of these this summer and give it a shot.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:08 pm

I like the ziplock bag idea. :D

This "new technology" is called evaporative cooling.

The "coolest" example I saw online was a clay pot inside a bigger clay pot with sand in the between the two clay pots.. soak, add a lid.

I have seen old-style cloth covered canteens for soaking and having evaporative cooling.

There were also desert water bags for jeeps.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm

ConnieD wrote:I like the ziplock bag idea. :D

This "new technology" is called evaporative cooling.

The "coolest" example I saw online was a clay pot inside a bigger clay pot with sand in the between the two clay pots.. soak, add a lid.

I have seen old-style cloth covered canteens for soaking and having evaporative cooling.

There were also desert water bags for jeeps.
One of these terra cotta strawbery pots would work nice:

http://www.arizonapottery.com/item.asp?iid=3357
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:17 pm

One of these terra cotta strawbery pots would work nice:
Zelph..you should know that those "9-holers" only work for cooling beers on golf courses... :roll:

;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 am

ConnieD wrote:I like the ziplock bag idea. :D
I usually have some kind of bag I can use, be it a stiff sack, cook set mesh bag or WP bag that I can tie a rope to and tie off to the bank. Throw your Ziploc in one of those and then put it in the bottom of the stream wedged in/under some rocks. The deeper you go the less likely some big teddy bear will come by and steal your food.

As for the fridge idea, the basic principal has been getting a lot more use the last 20 years or so in the US. Typically in the form of evaporative clothing/neckerchief's/headbands for athletes motorcyclists and race car drivers. I would love to see more of this technology put to good use here in the US.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 am

I purchased one of those evaporative cooling neckerchiefs.

The material inside "evaporated".

The material inside didn't fall out. It must have got "used up".

While it "worked" it really did work well. It was effective.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 pm

We use evaporative cooling on the trail by carrying a couple small handtowels with us on hot summer day hikes..dip them in streams we cross and wrap them around our necks as we hike,cooling us off.It's amazing how many people we hike past sweating their asses off that say.."What a great idea,why didn't we think of that?!"... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:35 pm

It is surprising how cooling that was, to have that on my neck :!:

I still recommend those those "stylish" evaporative cooling neckerchiefs. I wore it "in town".
However, it was my experience they "last" one season, or, one "heat wave". Nevertheless, I would purchase another.
Maybe I could purchase the "refill" crystals I have seen sold elsewhere?
My experience was it stayed "wet" more than a day. I think, maybe, two or even three days, for one soaking.

I also have a hat insert, for an open weave "fisherman's hat" I have yet to put to use.